• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering winter SUCKS

It was 12 degrees here last night...just wanted to remind those of you in warmer climates how lucky you are and ask if I can set up a tent in your back yard...til May or so :( Gonna go look at my seedlings and pretend it's warm out.
Jerry

sorry can't resist lol...
UbOQxFF.jpg

Winter is Australia isn't so bad. It does get to 12c at night but in my area we haven't had frosts in a while. Put black bags over your plants.

Sarge said:
Winter is Australia isn't so bad. It does get to 12c at night but in my area we haven't had frosts in a while. Put black bags over your plants.
I mean 12F (-11C)...it's COLD!!!!!!
Jerry

Still no rain to talk about this fall here and today was 82F 27C :) I can tell you the sun felt great today and am glad I don't live where it's 12F right now.. But I use to live where it got -30F so I understand..

It dropped to 27F here last night. I pruned back four potted plants for over wintering. One Habanero and Cayenne will be saved for the second time. A Fatalli and Chocolate Habanero are being held for the first time.

I also have several other potted plants that set pods late and still need a few more weeks. Since it will be back up to the mid-70's in just a few days, I put 7-8 other potted plants in my daughter's play house with a 100 watt lightbulb. I then covered the play house with blankets and a freeze protection tarp I bought at Home Depot. It will freeze again tonight, so I don't know if it saved my plants or not, but it was worth a try.

More to come...

Winter does kill the insects though...

There is an advantage or two in a colder climate. Maybe only one or two though............

Nigel said:
Terrible, the winter. It was only 90°F here today and tonight it`s all the way down to 64°F. I hate the winter............. :rofl:
Yep I'm with you Nigel. My plants are all winter prepped with no where to go. Keep think the frost is getting near only to get another 90 degree day! 

going just below freezing here at night. Killing electric bill in the shop for keeping everything warm.....Since I heating the space I should just get more lights and plant more peps.

I was telling my son just tonight that he needs to change his perspective - mind over matter. He needs to tell himself that it's HOTTTT - if he rolled in the snow and ice on the ground, the ice might give him freezer BURN, which is HOT. So he just has to tell himself that he's hot, then just be hot. In fact, HOTTTT.  

I'm not sure why, but for some strange reason he rolled his eyes at me, like this: :rolleyes:

I dont mind winter - I prefer it with snow than freezing cold and no snow. A downside is my wife wearing her pajams over her flannels, I mean how can you be that cold??? and her cold feet on my legs to warm up too - lets not even get into shaving ..... 

Im just used to it I guess

Back