• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wire Shelves (if anybody's lookin)

Target has there 6'x4'x18" wire shelves on sale till the 13th for 49.99
That is a really good price if your looking for shelves. At Lowes they are 87.00 for the same thing. I had to pick up two of em and 9 more shop lights.

Dale

*sigh*

I may have to do that if winter doesn't turn loose soon.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dale nice find but I am wondering why you don't try a HID grow lamp? You probably have at least 6 of those racks full of plants. You could have found one for what you just paid for those shop lights.

just did a quick scan of your pics PODPIPER and i must say you're quite the green thumb !

excellent garden dude.. exactly what i want in the near future...

how do your melons turn out ?

Dale...do you run three shop light fixtures per shelf?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Dale nice find but I am wondering why you don't try a HID grow lamp? You probably have at least 6 of those racks full of plants. You could have found one for what you just paid for those shop lights.

PRF, if you can steer me towards some HID's for under $40.00 I'll take em. I do not believe one HID lamp would cover the area I have and the heat they would all generate in my small room would cook everything. HID's would also cause faster growth and I do not want that. But I would take some cheap HID's, I would find a way to use them for sure.

Hotpeppa said:
just did a quick scan of your pics PODPIPER and i must say you're quite the green thumb !

excellent garden dude.. exactly what i want in the near future...

how do your melons turn out ?

Thanks Hotpeppa, some of the melons were over ripe but still tasted very good but other than that I had a very good melon year. The Summer Flavor 420 watermelon and the Hale's Best Jumbo cantaloupes were by far the best tasting melons I've ever had and will be grown again this year.

AlabamaJack said:
Dale...do you run three shop light fixtures per shelf?

Yes AJ three per. I have cut it back to three per shelf because of the number of plants I am growing. I did have 4 per shelf last year. I am keeping a close watch on your Greenhouse Work thread because that is the next move for me. I think i am nearing full capacity indoors sorry to say.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
Target has there 6'x4'x18" wire shelves on sale till the 13th for 49.99
That is a really good price if your looking for shelves. At Lowes they are 87.00 for the same thing. I had to pick up two of em and 9 more shop lights.

Dale

Thanks for the Heads up Piper. I just bought one of these tonight. I plan on setting up my grow area this weekend.

-JJ

thepodpiper said:
PRF, if you can steer me towards some HID's for under $40.00 I'll take em.

Dale,

These are within $3.00 of your target. Two of them would cover a 4x8' area with lumens to spare.

I so want to build a greenhouse. Start the seeds indoors and then like AJ, once I transplant them put them outside. From my experiments with plants in the office window, they will grow better with 12 hours of natural sunlight than with 16 hours of artificial lighting, even if the light is 4,000-35,000 lumens. (Not surprising - sunlight on an overcast day is 60,000 or so.) Heating is a concern but looking at it statistically, I'm using 16 Kw a day in lighting. The worst case scenario, and using electricity rather than propane, I would need 19Kw a day to heat the GH.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Dale,

These are within $3.00 of your target. Two of them would cover a 4x8' area with lumens to spare.

I so want to build a greenhouse. Start the seeds indoors and then like AJ, once I transplant them put them outside. From my experiments with plants in the office window, they will grow better with 12 hours of natural sunlight than with 16 hours of artificial lighting, even if the light is 4,000-35,000 lumens. (Not surprising - sunlight on an overcast day is 60,000 or so.) Heating is a concern but looking at it statistically, I'm using 16 Kw a day in lighting. The worst case scenario, and using electricity rather than propane, I would need 19Kw a day to heat the GH.

Mike

I didn't know you could use such low wattage HID's and get results. I have about 15 175 watt metal halide bulbs left over from the carwash but I gave the guy that bought the wash all the fixtures. They do get hot though and in my small grow area they just would not be feasible.

Dale

Dale,

Imperfect lumens - not the best spectrum for seedlings, but at the distance I have them, the plants are getting about 35,000 of them!

Mike

The original price of 54.99 is way lower than than Lowes 89.00. Still a good deal at Target. I actuall still have a rain check for two at 49.99 if anyone wants it.

Back