• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds wiri-wiri woes - seedlings stopped growing

So i started these guys back on 12/22 and then germinated and had their first coty leaves open on 1/3. I pulled the greenhouse cover off a month ago and it shocked everything - but slowing the rest have been perking back up. As of today the wiri wiri haven't done ANYTHING! just sitting there for the last 7+ weeks. They're the only ones not progressing.

I've read that other people have had similar issues getting these gems to grow. Any suggestions? should i just go to their 3" transplant pots and blast the lot of them with some 5-1-1 mix when they're watered in?

Heres a pic: 
DSF0800-print.jpg

very possible. I dont usually let the seed cells dry out completely like i do once they go to the 3" pots... but this year i've been lazy transplanting them and they're a little old to be in the cells still. I will knock that out as soon as my coconut coir shows up (tomorrow i hope) and I can make this years potting soil! 

ChiliNoob said:
I suspect over watering.  I would re-transplant them into a good potting mix ASAP.
+1  I recommend just lifting the lid so that a little more air can get in for a few days while checking water levels.  Out here even a day can dry them out badly.  When they still look ok with that take the lid off.  A day or two later re-pot or put to ground.

they haven't had the lid on the tray since mid Jan. i've been refilling the tray with water every few days since and haven't let it go completely dry.

I'm sure your humidity is much higher than here so next bet from me is your heat possibly?  They still look ok, but less water and patience now is my guess.  Look pretty wet.

If they sprouted well over a month ago and this is where they're at now, they're basically dead (growth wise), the tips of the leaves are slightly dried out and shriveled, which looks like your soil is low in calcium content. It also looks like those seedlings most likely have root-rot. Make sure that your soil in that germination station is between 75-85 degrees as peppers love high heat and high humidity, personally I would have left the dome cover on. The soil in those little cells looks like it's packed in there awfully tight which suffocates the roots and prevents them from getting aerated/oxygenated, when you make up your soil put in 20-25% perlite which will help a lot with aeration, as well as not packing down the soil so much after placing your seeds in the cells. As far as theses seedlings go, find the nearest trash can and start over, remove the existing soil in the cells, put fresh soil in there (don't forget the perlite), keep the soil in the 75-85 degree range (get a heating mat if needed), get a good quality spray bottle and mist them 2-3 times a day to make sure that the soil is "moist"...not drenched!, if you really want healthy, vigorous and productive seedlings you should have at least 2 (I have 3) of those little 24w CFL T-5 grow lights (the small thin ones about 20" long that go for about $20-$25 a pop, sitting right on top of the dome cover flooding your seedlings with light...there's an easy way to make pure calcium carbonate cheap and easy, let me know if you need to know how...

Anthony

yeah the soil in there is miracle grow seed starting mix and I do pack it in pretty tight. I think in the future i'll make my own with coir and leave it loose as mentioned. Perlite in the germination soil? i'll give it a shot.
I think you guys have the ticket though in that they seem to be very water logged and need to get out of there asap. I'll try another round of wiri wiri and see what happens. 

Honestly Dana, I have never understood why people spend a lot of money on fancy stuff like coconut noir, fancy miracle-gro soil seed-starting mix (which by the way I wouldn't use if they gave me a free bag), etc. I honestly have always started out with your basic Black Gold Potting Mix (the regular all-purpose stuff works fine) and simply added perlite (all that's for is aeration and drainage, as well as keeping the soil fluffy and loose), calcium carbonate (which you can make the pure form out of egg shells cheap and easy), liquid kelp extract (the best and also the cheapest as you can find it at Home Depot is the "Alaska brand"), Epsom salts and Vitamin B-1...that's it, and all those things are cheap. My Pepper seeds average germination time is only 4-8 days...that's it, hell I just planted 6 Carolina Reaper seeds in the same exact little germination station that you are using, just 4 days ago, and 2 of them have not only sprouted, they are already over an inch tall!

Anthony

Taking the dome cover off of the germination station wouldn't be a good idea for 2 reasons: you lose your humidity (if it gets too humid, simply set something between the cover and the tray, so theres a slight gap to let a little bit of the humidity out), another huge thing that you lose is heat (which is the #1 reason people have trouble germinating pepper seeds), the soil in your germination station should be kept between 75-85 degrees

Oh...another thing, whatever you do, don't put seedlings directly into the ground from your seedling tray (big mistake), plant them in little 3-4" pots, and set yourself up a little "transfer station" as I call it. Transfer station: get another germination station, toss the super short 2" tall dome cover and replace it with a 12" tall dome cover for Clones, toss the 72 cell soil tray insert inside the main tray, stack all your little 3-4" pots inside put the cover on, put anywhere from 1-3 little 24 watt T-5 lights (with the little reflectors on them), and watch them grow!!

Hey Dana, ditch the watering in the bottom of the tray method for starting seeds (it can work great when working with clones or established plants)...it sucks when used in a germination tray...period. Soil doesn't "wick" water up well like you think it would, but roots sure do, but since seeds don't have roots, most of the time your soil cells will stay water logged, the seeds themselves/or the tiny little roots on the seedlings will rot, and when they do, the seedling will simply stop growing or die. Get a good quality spray bottle and mist the soil cells 2-3 times a day to keep them "moist", using this method you will never have a water logged cell, and as long as you're attentive to your misting, the moisture content in your cell soil should be damn near perfect!

Anthony

Awesome thanks for the advise!

The coir is a first-time attempt this year at making a "diy potting mix". I got it cheap on amazon for $13 to my door for an 11lb block. I added probably 5 gallons of water to it and a half a bag of perlite and it made quite a bit in this massive 30gal bin: (the compost and sand will go in as well once they thaw)

Back