• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wisdom, or Idiocy?

I was looking at the lowest leaves on some of my MOAs, the ones that touch the mulch, to see that they were being nibbled by various insects. The upper leaves were untouched. My first instinct was to remove these particular leaves, the ones being nibbled upon. (I think Cayennemist removes all leaves that make contact with the soil) But, then I thought I would leave them for the offending bugs, as a way of diverting their attention from the upper leaves and flowers. These lowest leaves produce no flowers anyway, and they don't ever seem to be completely eaten. Theoretically, these bugs might stay where there is an easy supply of foliage to snack on, leaving all else alone. Any merit to this?

I pull any leaves in touch with soil just to try and keep soil borne pathogens away/off the plants whenever possible.  Just the product of a few seasons worth of loss due to bacterial leaf spot.

I'm with SnF. I Pick off lower leaves that are either touching the ground (BLS, and access for slugs) and those that are yellowing and ragged. The color yellow in leaves attracts aphids and other pests. That's one reason why trees like oaks pump anthocyanin into senescing leaves - to convince pests to go elsewhere. 

most modern farming doesn't go for 100% pest elimination it's impossible. instead you try to create a balance between the predatory insects and their food supply. Yeah you lose some crop but its self sustaining cycle. most people don't want pesticides all over now adays anyway.

but yeah what the other guys are saying, any leaves that touch the ground should be pulled.

Yup, get rid of the low leaves and pay close attention to the slugs! Those are really nasty sons of ...
We have a lot of them here, no.1 pest and the battle goes 50/50. You can poison the dog but the slug still remains... Of curse, I do not encourage you to poison anything. Just be aware of those bastards and if you see some, come back by and we will come up with few remedies which will hopefully lessen the impact on the plants. :)

Thats music to my ears! Mine!? Everyones! :D How I wish to have the same fortune as you do. :)
Thumbs up mate and may your plants be mighty strong and prolific!

Back