• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

wogx 2019

Hey! Few months ago I posted a little sneak peek in a different topic, now it's the time to start the 2019 season thread. I spent a lot of time last year crossing different varieties with each other, in result I harvested seeds from 92 crosses. At 06.01 I sowed these crosses + 30 other varieties. That number seems to be huge at first glance, but I am convinced that many of them will not sprout, because not all crosses are viable. In 2018 ~60% of my crosses didn't sprout. Some of these crosses were repeated but parents were replaced with each other (variety Y pollinated with Z pollen is another cross than variety Z pollinated with Y pollen). Two plants of each variety will be planted in the ground. The main goal for this season will be to check which traits of different varieties will dominate in F1 generation.

Shortlist of varieties for this season:
92 crosses
Aji Cito
Ancho Poblano
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Black Hungarian
Brazilian Pumpkin
Carolina Reaper Yellow
Corno di Torro Giallo
Chinense #2
Chinense #3 
Chinense #4 
Chinense #5 
Habanero Orange
Jalapeno Conchos
Jalapeno M
Jamaican Hot Red
Joe Long Cayenne
Kitchen Pepper Peach
Lemon Drop
Lunchbox mix
Pasilla Bajio
Piri-Piri
Rocoto Giant Red
Sierrano
Tabasco
Ubatuba Cambuchi
No Name #2
No Name #3
No Name #4 
No Name #5

lINQLkb.jpg

wogx said:

That's weird, you can try to see that update trought this link : https://imgur.com/user/wogx
I hope it will work  ;)

Now the other link work for me :D It will be very exiting for when the plants produce. Why did you choose to plant so many crosses? Is it just to try something different? :) And did you make them all by yourself? 

Mildfruit said:

Now the other link work for me :D It will be very exiting for when the plants produce. Why did you choose to plant so many crosses? Is it just to try something different? :) And did you make them all by yourself? 

I wanted to have a gene pool as large as it is possible, to select few interesting crosses to grow them in next seasons. You don't know which crosses will be promising until you grow them, so i've planted as much as it was possible.  :)  Most of them were made by me. WGX 022 is not my intentional cross, the first generation appeared in 2018. It was a single, purple-leafed plant, which growed between Habanero Orange seedlings.  That plant produced over 1400g of peppers, so i've decided to keep seeds from it.

Really looking forward to seeing your
crosses, Wog'. It all sounds so interesting!
Very cool endeavor you have undertaken.
Mildfruit said:
Link does not work for me :)

Wanted to say that it worked for me,
but I see MF has it covered already!

I am amazed you could get that many crosses made in a single year.  Speaking from personal experience, the # of hours to make them all would have had to be incredible. :)  Crosses just don't 'take' that easy most times.

Chris

wogx said:

I wanted to have a gene pool as large as it is possible, to select few interesting crosses to grow them in next seasons. You don't know which crosses will be promising until you grow them, so i've planted as much as it was possible.  :)  Most of them were made by me. WGX 022 is not my intentional cross, the first generation appeared in 2018. It was a single, purple-leafed plant, which growed between Habanero Orange seedlings.  That plant produced over 1400g of peppers, so i've decided to keep seeds from it.

I wish I had that space. Will be very intersting to follow, seeing all kinds of strange pods. Hopefully some great ones in between :)!

23.06, part two: https://imgur.com/gallery/NfC7j24

Peppers should grow much better now, cultivation in the ground well affects them. In the meantime the varieties list has grown up, i've bought few more seedlings, such as 7 Pot Brain Strain, Aji Jobito, Aribibi Gusano, Bhutlah Mustard, Bleeding Heart Chocolate, Chilhuacle Negro, Pink Tiger.
Vast majority of crosses grows much better than standard varieties. Many plants started to flower, so now it's time to recreate crosses from last year and create new ones. I'll also try to pollinate every of those plants with it's own pollen, to create F2 seeds. Maybe you have some ideas for interesting crosses between varieties listed below?

7 Pot Brain Strain
Aji Cito
Aji Jobito
Ancho Poblano
Aribibi Gusano
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Bhutlah Mustard
Black Hungarian
Bleeding Heart Chocolate
Brazilian Pumpkin
Carolina Reaper Yellow
Corno di Torro Giallo
Chinense #2
Chinense #3 (simmilar to Chocolate Habanero)
Chinense #4 (simmilar to Red Habanero)
Chinense #5 (simmilar to White Habanero)
Chilhuacle Negro
Jalapeno Conchos
Jalapeno M
Jamaican Hot Red
Joe Long Cayenne
"Kitchen Pepper Peach"
Lemon Drop
Lunchbox 
Pasilla Bajio
Pink Tiger
Piri-Piri
Rocoto Giant Red
Sierrano
"Tabasco"
Ubatuba Cambuchi

BTW. Does anyone know a better hosting? Posting pictures on imgur takes ages  :banghead:

Small tip. The Rocoto shouldnt cross with any other peppers other than Eximium and other Pubescens. You should try the Lemon Drop x Brainstrain. I am trying that also. It would be cool to see the variation.

I know that C. pubescens won't cross with other peppers :P Lemon Drop x Brainstrain is a nice idea, I've noticed that other crosses between Lemon Drop and C. chinense created strong, spreading, low-growing plants, for example:

WGX 059 (Lemon Drop x Bhut Jolokia Yellow)

height - 36 cm (~14 inches), width - 67 x 55 cm (~26,5 x 21.5 inches)

WTGehYT.jpg

WGX 065 (Lemon Drop x Chinensis #2)

height - 36 cm (~14 inches), width - 72 x 60 cm (~28 x 23.5 inches)

HwWPRpU.jpg

New pics:
30.06 https://imgur.com/gallery/SAQWjcS
07.07 https://imgur.com/gallery/AVOZYAq

Looks like things are going well in Poland, Wogx!

Yeah, the weather is really good this year, it's really important here in Poland, especially when you grow peppers outdoor, not in a polytunnel or a greenhouse :D I'm pollinating each plant, so hopefully in October I'll got some F2 seeds from each phenotype for a group project in which we'll try to stabilise most promising crosses + lots of F1 seeds for people which would want to try something new

Sounds good, Wogx! Glad you are having good weather!

Im interested in your Chilhuacle Negro progress. I just got some pods locally in a trade. Im thinking about trying them next year since i know these will grow here.

Have you got any ripe yet and tried them?

Back