Wood Chip Mulch

DontPanic said:
Why, thank you for your kind and supportive words.

I grabbed a couple of bags of the ground stump chips, but never ended up using them for much.  I have access to sufficient other sources of organic compost to suit my needs, and I decided that the ground stump wasn't going to give me much benefit over and above the stream of compost I already work into my garden.

Hahaha...  that smartass comment was sort of a running joke for a few of us.  It wasn't meant to hit you.  My apologies.  You know, stuff sometimes sounds funnier in my head than it does to other people.

Anyway, you asked a good question, and it's a great topic to leave lying around.

So a related question: I'm an amateur wood worker and I'm just about to empty my dust collection bag. I have about 40 gallons of wood chip and saw dust from a variety of species like oak, cherry, walnut, maple, cedar, pine etc. I was going to toss it onto the burn pile but now I'm thinking if I should find a spot to dump it and leave it to rot over the next few years? Another alternative is to stick a few inches in the bottom of the new raised beds I plan on starting this year. Bad idea?

Siv said:
So a related question: I'm an amateur wood worker and I'm just about to empty my dust collection bag. I have about 40 gallons of wood chip and saw dust from a variety of species like oak, cherry, walnut, maple, cedar, pine etc. I was going to toss it onto the burn pile but now I'm thinking if I should find a spot to dump it and leave it to rot over the next few years? Another alternative is to stick a few inches in the bottom of the new raised beds I plan on starting this year. Bad idea?

Start a compost pile, and let this be your "greens" to which you add "browns".  Suggest you mix it with leaves...  Boom.

You'd want to compost it for a while before using it in your garden.

Also, you'd want to know that there isn't any chips from treated wood.  The treated wood will inhibit the composting, and it's said that the treatment chemicals can work their way into your crop.

The wood chips will compost very slowly by themselves.  So, like solid7 says, mixing it in with leaves or other compost will speed things up.

Back