• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Woozy bottle lid question

I'm looking to bottle hot sauce and want to follow the correct "canning" procedures of BWB but the lids for my woozy bottles can't be used in boiling water baths.  What alternative lids do I have?

Also, is there a tool that's available to fill the bottles (other than my funnel, which is messy)?

Thanks for any help.

Greetings and welcome from the Space Coast of Florida!!!

Since this is your first post I would suggest going over to the introduction section and just saying "Hi!"

When you bottle hot sauce most people have it below a certain pH, this ensures that the sauce is acidic enough to not be a host to the "nasties" ( botulism etc.). If it acidic enough you can then do the boil, fill, invert and hold method.

If you want to can by way of BWB then I would suggest getting a bottle or jar with a metal lid, akin to a mason jar. 

Or pressure can which is a BWB at a different atmospherical pressure which will allow the water to get hotter than 212F. Pressurizing it allows the water to heat above 240F which will kill organisms such as botulism.

As far as bottling goes I know some use a giant coffee urn such as this which will hold your hot liquid and allow you a more precise control of the flow.

B9sVDDY.jpg

Thank you, both, for the info.  I wasn't sure about the pH level allowing me to bottle the sauce w/o having the BWB.  I 
ll have the sauces tested and then I'll know how to proceed.

Thanks for the bottling tips, as well.

Back