• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Worm castling, compost tea, coffee grounds questions?

I started up a worm bin about six months ago and lost majority of them died off during my last rain. I had a Rubbermaid unit myself and had drilled holes on the too to give them air. And all the rain fell thru. Opened it up one day and it was filled to the brim with water. I drain the tea that was at the bottom out and poured it into my garden, hedges that I'm currently trying to grow and several fruit tress I have on my property. As well as the remaining water. Like you stated left with pretty much mud. So I added a bunch of dry organic soil and save a few of the worms. Hopefully they can reproduce to a higher number. And since have moved them indoors. Couple question though.

First how do you properly use the compost tea? What part per part am I supposed to use? Full strength or diluted?
Second is coffee groups and expresso grounds good off either compost or soil alternative ? I work at a grocery store with a coffee /juice bar and have been bringing some home lately but they honestly produce or toss yo much away. I can only use so much. But thought that if it can be a soil alternative it would be good to store. Please feel free to add or pm me with any info. Thanks in advance.

I cut my tea in half and use a backpack sprayer. Don't ever use tea that smells bad.
Coffee grounds are acidic so use them sparingly.

Babysas said:
I cut my tea in half and use a backpack sprayer. Don't ever use tea that smells bad. Coffee grounds are acidic so use them sparingly.
I remember reading that but thought with watering they would not be. Got to look it up when I'm off from work. Thanks for the info. Well here is what I found.

Many people feel that coffee grounds lower the pH (or raise the acid level) of soil, which is good for acid loving plants. But this is only true for unwashed coffee grounds. If you rinse your used coffee grounds, they will have a near neutral pH of 6.5 and will not affect the acid levels of the soil. - See more at: http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/coffee-grounds-gardening.htm#sthash.NcFQ7F4i.dpuf

Back