Worst part of growing...

Yeah... I like to save seeds just from the most gnarly looking pods as they come in throughout the season.  That way its not such a huge chore there at the end.

I hear ya lol. So far I've got 25 big box lids full of seeds. Each lid holds 16-20 folded paper towels with seeds spread across. Never thought of using filters, might have to try that out. Doing more seeding today.

Scorched said:
I hear ya lol. So far I've got 25 big box lids full of seeds. Each lid holds 16-20 folded paper towels with seeds spread across. Never thought of using filters, might have to try that out. Doing more seeding today.
The filter work great. They're cheap, keep the seeds seperate, and you can stack them. Plus they are so permeable that air can flow through and dry them out. I had 2 stacks about 10 deep. Carried them downstairs no problem. I did the paper towel deal and always worried about mixing them up and falling out.
Noah Yates said:
Yeah... I like to save seeds just from the most gnarly looking pods as they come in throughout the season.  That way its not such a huge chore there at the end.
Yeah I saved some based on good phenotype during the season. Just trying to make sure I have enough to share etc.

Ozzy2001 said:
The filter work great. They're cheap, keep the seeds seperate, and you can stack them. Plus they are so permeable that air can flow through and dry them out. I had 2 stacks about 10 deep. Carried them downstairs no problem. I did the paper towel deal and always worried about mixing them up and falling out.
Yeah I saved some based on good phenotype during the season. Just trying to make sure I have enough to share etc.
Yeah I like that filter idea. Used paper cups in the past but sometimes I get mold after a few high humidity days.

I dry my pods before extracting seeds. Done it both ways with hardly a change in success rate but in areas where there's more of a chance of rot it's better to extract fresh before drying.

My dehydrator kicked the bucket last season and I've yet to replace it so I have to seed before drying. I pull the seeds and then bag and freeze them to be dried later. I even pull the seeds from ones I'm not saving seed for as I can get many more pods in the 2 gallon bags. Once I get my new dehydrator I can just pull them out of the bags and dry away.

My dehydrator runs too hot, I worry about seed viability. I have a big stack of paper plates that I keep just for drying seeds. When ever I go to make a batch of sauce or powder I just save those seeds.

Ok people.  Here is a tip.  Use cone coffee filters!  The round ones above tend to spill.  All coffee filters are super absorbant and if you use the cone filters the seed don't get away from you.  Fold over the top and voilà!  Your seeds wont escape.  Stack them edge-wise,  I have used this method at work when I eat around a pod and save the seeds.  Place wet seeds in #4 cone filter and by end of day they are more or less dry.  Give it a try.

R0n95QLl.jpg

plus you want to propagate pods that fruited early, not late in the season!  I just started using "coin envelopes" to keep my seeds

Back