• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Worst Pepper

I have to agree that the Bulgarian Carrot is the worst pepper I've tried to eat. Its skin is so tough you have to cut it with a hack saw and its taste isn't any better.

I like to be liking annums.

And some frutescens.

Some aji's.

I don't like at all.

Chinense.

Although I will cook with orange habs.

And Trini scorps.

Its the chalky milky taste that bugs me.

The heat doesn't bother me.

I haven't tasted anything real vile yet, just a few varieties that didn't taste of much at all (aji pineapple) and then there's the "poisonous vegetable" smell and taste of the cayenne I grew, what few chinense I've experience with smell somewhat the same. Have read several report that they dislike the taste of rocoto/manzano, hm, I wonder if they dislike normal sweet bell peppers bought in a supermarket as well? That's what the fruits from the yellow roc I'm growing tastes like anyway, with a subtle but not unpleasant difference (besides the heat :) ) .

I feel like i cannot judge a chile unless I've tried a fully ripe example. I also feel like you gotta try each chile in it's proper form, just to be fair. Eg, i think fresh Guajillos are pretty uncool. Not awful or gross or nothing, just not good. But i cannot live without them dry or powdered.

All that being said, I've never had a pepper that i would say tastes bad. It's just, some others just taste so much better! But i do tend to think that brown/chocolate chinense taste kinda acrid when fresh. Dry/smoked/powder is an entirely different experience.

Bicycle808 said:
All that being said, I've never had a pepper that i would say tastes bad.

I wish I could agree with you on this point.  But taste being such a subjective thing, and all... ;)

Some people have a broader palate than others.  There are somethings that I've very discerning about.  I like certain peppers, beers, wines, coffees, and women. Some people like all or none in each of those categories. :D

One can be discerning without being negative. And often, sometimes study that isn't the best is still not than adequate. If I were in prison or on a desert island, I'd be highly appreciative of ANY peppers I had... And, any beer, coffee, or women I might come across, too.

And I also have learned that one person's favorite chile/beer/woman might be another man's nightmare, but it doesn't make for good manners to tell that first guy that you hate his wife and his beer is shit...

I like all of these things (not necessarily in this order):  peppers, beers, wines, coffees, women, tools, Friday nights, tomatoes, potatoes, fishing, tacos, steak, camping, ranch dressing, fires, chili, scotch, pizza, guns, trucks, college football, football futbol soccer, travel, naps, anything fried, cigars, money, a good dump, anything pickled, queso, assorted sausages, fry bread, minor league baseball, seafood, Italian food, Mexican food, shawarma, BBQ, grand kids, Tang, wings, duct tape, blue cheese and long walks on the beach at sunset.   Not so much other stuff.  Go.

Most jalapeños. I've never really liked them at all. I do grow the farmers market jalas, since the corked skin makes a great crispy texture when I stuff and roast the jalas.

Chocolate brainstrain. Insanely spicy, but the flavor is very floral/bitter.

Bicycle808 said:
One can be discerning without being negative. And often, sometimes study that isn't the best is still not than adequate. If I were in prison or on a desert island, I'd be highly appreciative of ANY peppers I had... And, any beer, coffee, or women I might come across, too.

And I also have learned that one person's favorite chile/beer/woman might be another man's nightmare, but it doesn't make for good manners to tell that first guy that you hate his wife and his beer is shit...

Right you are.  One can only translate negativity into subjectiveness.  There are no good or bad beers, coffees, or womens.  There are only beers, coffees and womens. :)

So what's the backstory on this sagacious wisdom? (you said you learned) :D :D :D

Harry_Dangler said:
I like all of these things (not necessarily in this order):  peppers, beers, wines, coffees, women, tools, Friday nights, tomatoes, potatoes, fishing, tacos, steak, camping, ranch dressing, fires, chili, scotch, pizza, guns, trucks, college football, football futbol soccer, travel, naps, anything fried, cigars, money, a good dump, anything pickled, queso, assorted sausages, fry bread, minor league baseball, seafood, Italian food, Mexican food, shawarma, BBQ, grand kids, Tang, wings, duct tape, blue cheese and long walks on the beach at sunset.   Not so much other stuff.  Go.
Holy crap.  2 major omissions.  Bacon and pierogies. 

solid7 said:

Right you are.  One can only translate negativity into subjectiveness.  There are no good or bad beers, coffees, or womens.  There are only beers, coffees and womens. :)

So what's the backstory on this sagacious wisdom? (you said you learned) :D :D :D
Womens?

+1 for bacon on ANYTHING. Beautiful.  I don't necessarily 'hate' them, but (to me) Habs, Bonnets, and Bhuts don't seem to have as much taste raw. They aren't as meaty either. They seem fine in cooked dishes, and I really like them in a smoked, dried powder form.  The ornamental multicolored Thai varieties are definitely bitter. Tobascos I use for vinegar or cooking. 

Back