• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Would you consider these leggy?

I think the color is right. And they seem pretty sturdy. I'm looking to translpant as soon as th next leaves come out. I seem some of them starting to. I have the light on them 24/7 still. 2 18" GE plant and aquarium.

pepper3copy.jpg

By spicym at 2012-04-18

pepper2copy.jpg

By spicym at 2012-04-18

pepper1copy.jpg

By spicym at 2012-04-18

"Leggy or Eggy" ...........................................sorry i couldn't help notice the container.

As mentioned above ..............sink 'em deep, that will help stabilize them if you intend to use a fan.

You didn't mention how far your 18" bulbs are from the top of the plants.

If the bulbs stay cool to room temp, you can lower them or bring the egg carton up to within 2 inches to the top of the seedlings

Poor that light on.....I've got some Jamaican Scotch Bonnets that I started 3 wks ago. The seedlings are under 24/7 about 1 inch from my T8's.

They already have they're 4th leaf set and are only 2 inches tall. They will become very stocky from the close intense lighting. I'm only trying to play

catch-up to my other plants and its working like a charm. My plantout is in one month and those seedlings will be ready...

Good luck with your grow

Greg

lol, yea they're not egg cartons. Just some cheap seed trays I found at my local nursery. The plants are 6" from the lights,and the lights give off barely any heat. They are GE Plant and Aquarium Wide Spectrum fluoros. One thing though, which I was thinking about. The plants are covered in a clear enclosure that collects condensation on it. Could that be filtering the light too much? I'm going to have to take it off anyway because my cucumbers are hitting it now. I don't want to though because my basement is cool, cool enough to defeat the purpose of my heating pad. It's between 75-80F in there when it's closed.

Any type of cover/,baffle whether its plastic or glass will condensate and diffuse light. That's why my HID's both MH and HPS are open reflector style.

The more Ft candles of light the merrier the plants will be

Greg

They are leggy, but that's just fine! When you transplant them burying them just below the cotyledons. They will grow roots up to that point, so there is a positive side to leggyiness.

Edit: Another positive aspect of legginess is if you want to graft (not the sort of grafting where you take a root stock and graft a scion on it) a few seedlings together. You can just twist a few of those seedlings together and then bury just below the cotyledons and keep on twisting them together. That might be a fun experiment for you if you have extra seedlings. I'm having a good time with two naga morichs I grafted together as seedlings. I just put them real close together and kept twisting them as they grew. I didn't have to use anything to tie them together. However, you may want to tie them together if they don't want to twist.

Edit again: you may want to get more light intensity so your plants grow faster next season. You should also put them much closer to the light early on.

Moved the light within 3 inches and killed 3 seedlings overnight. One was laying down on its side, but I managed to get it back up by shutting the light off. Unfortunately one of the ones that died was a black pearl. So i'm down to 3 of those left. I'm guessing i did that a little too quickly. I should have gradually lowered the light. Fortunately most didn't even curl. odd

Edit: Another positive aspect of legginess is if you want to graft (not the sort of grafting where you take a root stock and graft a scion on it) a few seedlings together. You can just twist a few of those seedlings together and then bury just below the cotyledons and keep on twisting them together. That might be a fun experiment for you if you have extra seedlings. I'm having a good time with two naga morichs I grafted together as seedlings. I just put them real close together and kept twisting them as they grew. I didn't have to use anything to tie them together. However, you may want to tie them together if they don't want to twist.

i was thinking of doing that to some of me cause they come out very close together, i didn't to kill them so i didn't try,and I've see trees like that before.

Back