• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Wrinkled Cayennes - My First Grow

Flamecycle

eXtreme
So I have a little potted cayenne plant and its first few peppers are starting to turn red! I was very excited but when I inspected closely I noticed that the ripening pods are sort of wrinkled and dry looking, especially towards their tips.

Here's a picture of the first homegrown pepper I ever picked! (unfortunately it was taken with my shitty laptop camera so you cant really see what I am talking about)
Image6.jpg

I picked the first one even though it was only about 1/2 red because it was so wrinkled. Do you guys think I should still be letting the peppers mature on the vine if they are already seeming to dry out, or better to pick them early and let them finish in the house?

Also, any idea why the pods are looking so wrinkled? Here are some things that I think may contribute: I have been only watering every 2-3 days (whenever the plant starts to wilt) because I heard stressing the plant makes it put out hotter pods. I have been watering from above the plant with a makeshift watering can but always make sure to move the plant into shade or wait until the sun goes down before watering. I also live in Phoenix, where the plant gets 10-12 hrs of direct sunlight a day, and the heat... well its 108 degree's F on my back porch in the shade right now...

Any criticisms or ideas what is causing my pods to dry out and when to pick them would be greatly appreciated.

no, cayennes can be ugly. i have grown several varieties over the past 20 years and sometimes you get really nice looking pods and other times you get some really ugly pods. because some types are so long and you can have a change in weather and ends that don't ripen as fast as the top half and the bottom end is black, wilted, dried and crusty. you think you gave them enough water, then you think you gave them too much water, its endless. since cayenne are readily available in most grocery stores, i have switch completely off cayenne and over to kungpao.

good luck.

no, cayennes can be ugly. i have grown several varieties over the past 20 years and sometimes you get really nice looking pods and other times you get some really ugly pods. because some types are so long and you can have a change in weather and ends that don't ripen as fast as the top half and the bottom end is black, wilted, dried and crusty. you think you gave them enough water, then you think you gave them too much water, its endless. since cayenne are readily available in most grocery stores, i have switch completely off cayenne and over to kungpao.

good luck.

Thank you for that, it helps a lot to know its common for cayennes to come out weird looking, maybe I'm treating the plant ok after all.

I just got ahold of a real camera so I figured I'd update this thread with some better pictures of what I mean...

IMG_4771.jpg

IMG_4768.jpg

Back