wanted WTB Biker Billy Jalapeno's

Hi ya'll,

The chiliplants had them this morning before I went to work. Went to order some plant's a few minute's ago, and they are gone. does anybody know where to find some nice plant's?

Tank ya much for any help.

primal13 said:
Hi ya'll,

The chiliplants had them this morning before I went to work. Went to order some plant's a few minute's ago, and they are gone. does anybody know where to find some nice plant's?

Tank ya much for any help.

Here you go.  Right to the source.  Burpee.  $17 plant + shipping.  Mix and match.  I ordered three last year, good output, overwintered them and have'em growing more this year.  Pickle them with carrots and onions for your nachos, burgers and eggs!  Yum!

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/pepper-hot-biker-billy-hybrid-prod000802.html

tz9aEjhl.jpg
MOGy7e9l.jpg

Thank ya guy's. I seen the burpee's page. It burn's paying that for them.lol Are the pod's as big as they claim?

Have not been to a Lowe's in a some time. Might chek it out this week end.

primal13 said:
Thank ya guy's. I seen the burpee's page. It burn's paying that for them.lol Are the pod's as big as they claim?

Have not been to a Lowe's in a some time. Might chek it out this week end.
We have them for $3.50. It is Burpees. Check Lowes or Home depot before paying that much.

It looks like burpees is charging $17 for 3 plants not for 1 plant. Still not cheap by any stretch but at least it's not $17 each. 

Flavor wise, are these really any good? I have not tried these yet. I know they are hotter than standard jalapenos, but are they delicious like old school ones?

TXCG said:
It looks like burpees is charging $17 for 3 plants not for 1 plant. Still not cheap by any stretch but at least it's not $17 each. 

Not  too bad, it could be higher, and worth it if you cannot find them locally and really desire them. However, if you can find them close by, then you will get a better value... I need to find a good variety, as I cannot find ripe red jalapenos which I love. 

AaronTT said:
I need to find a good variety, as I cannot find ripe red jalapenos which I love. 

Around here in the summer time all the Mexican markets carry red ripe jalapenos that are delicious so I've never really bothered growing Jals. The ones at the Mexican markets tend to be significantly hotter than the ones I can find in normal grocery stores too. 

Might have to save seeds from some this year since they would most likely breed true. 

TXCG said:

Around here in the summer time all the Mexican markets carry red ripe jalapenos that are delicious so I've never really bothered growing Jals. The ones at the Mexican markets tend to be significantly hotter than the ones I can find in normal grocery stores too. 

Might have to save seeds from some this year since they would most likely breed true. 
Lucky you. I asked a local organic guy to consider allowing some of his jabs to ripen red, and he gave me some bs; real reason he is a cheapskate who said it takes too long for them to turn red. Meanwhile the ass has most of his green ones rotting, because no one wants them. Anyways, like always I am stuck with idiots, with no business sense. Glad at least some folks can get the real thing, as I cannot. Oh, well this time I will grow them myself.

Pictured below is one of my hauls last year.  Sort of hard to tell the size but that is a fingerling potato at the bottom.  I took maybe 30 peppers each of my hauls.  Then just before the 3rd harvest I was out of town and one of my neighbors took about a dozen off the plant and that was the end of the season. :rolleyes:   I really like the BB.  I let some go red, too.  Try to find them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

--> As for Burpee, I will say that the three plants were about 6- 8 inches high, perfect condition and separated inside the cardboard carton by (molded) ridged plastic insides so the plants could not move at all.  Best packaging I have seen. 

shipping_live_plants.jpg

dT98qSjh.jpg
Tk6QcaLh.jpg

That's it... I may just have to go back to Home Depot and see if the jalapeno's they had there were the Biker Billy's. Was just there last week and they had over a dozen different varieties (I was looking just to see if they had the 'Thai Hots', which they did), and they had four 2 feet tall jalapenos with green pods already all over them- stupid me didn't even look at the label!   :doh: They were all Burpee's peppers too.

I'll have to stop by the farmers market too (again). Just this Monday they FINALLY had in the local habanero's... always crazy hot and sprinkled with dirt! Lol! As I was was getting them, a worker was unloading some of the most massive green jalapeno's I'd ever seen! Had to of been around 7 boxes full, the 'peno mound' was huge! I was torn whether to buy some, thinking 'Eh, they are just jalapeno's.... and I had already scored some super sweet red ones at the local Mexican grocer', so I passed. Now I'm really craving some! There is nothing quite like a super crunchy, juicy jalapeno when they have that awesome flavor! 

Thank ya'll very much for the lead's and info. I work at a local bar here, The head kitchen man has a gouda sauce that was amazing with some bacon to make popper's. We trade for regular jalapeno's every year. This year I wanted to try something different.

There is a lowe's down the road. Might make a trip to see what they have.

Sucks, my Lowes and Home Depot are Bonnie's plants no Burpee. They used to sell seed packs but I haven't been able to find them the past few years.

No Bonnie. The BB is a hybrid developed by Burpee for Billy Hufnagel. A biker who is into fiery foods. There are many types of Jalapeños. Not saying these are the absolute best but they are very good and many like them. Probably an equal amount think the Jalapeño isn't that tasty and prefer Fresno or Serranos over Jalapeños. What I like about them is it fits my needs. I bottle maybe 15-20 half pint jars that get me to the next season, hopefully. I use them on burgers, nachos, salads and breakfast burritos.

Hufnagel has a website. No affiliation.

http://www.bikerbilly.com

I have seeds for people but at this stage of the game you are better off ordering live plants from Burpee or finding them at Home Depot or finding a grower who will send you a SFRB. imho.

Might have to skip them this year. I can can buy close to 50 mucho nacho from the amish nursery. For what three would cost from burpee. I am not knocking them one bit. They have a business to run. Maybe next year I'll have my stuff together better.lol Thank you all for the help and advice.

chiltepin said:

Here you go.  Right to the source.  Burpee.  $17 plant + shipping.  Mix and match.  I ordered three last year, good output, overwintered them and have'em growing more this year.  Pickle them with carrots and onions for your nachos, burgers and eggs!  Yum!

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/pepper-hot-biker-billy-hybrid-prod000802.html

tz9aEjhl.jpg
MOGy7e9l.jpg
Chiltepin, do have the recipe you pickled them in, looks delicious. Or is it the standard 3-2-1-1/2 pickle recipe? TIA

sdambr said:
Chiltepin, do have the recipe you pickled them in, looks delicious. Or is it the standard 3-2-1-1/2 pickle recipe? TIA

Hi Sue!

Thank you for asking!!  It is a little different proportions than the standard 3-2-1-1/2 pickle juice recipe.  Here is a link to my recipe, complete with method, recipe and pictures.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56536-pickled-and-canned-jalapeno-pepper-rings/

PM me with any questions!

regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim for the link.

I am so going to make these.  Jalapenos are about as hot as I am going this year so I planted plenty, maybe this way they will last me through the winter.

Best,
Sue
chiltepin said:

Hi Sue!

Thank you for asking!!  It is a little different proportions than the standard 3-2-1-1/2 pickle juice recipe.  Here is a link to my recipe, complete with method, recipe and pictures.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/56536-pickled-and-canned-jalapeno-pepper-rings/

PM me with any questions!

regards,

Jim

Back