• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Wunder's 2010 Log

Intended to have everything sorted out and germinating in early January, actually got seeds in dirt on 2nd of March. Was out of town a few times, drinking sessions and waiting for seeds.
So Im kicking myself for being behind schedule, but its only two months, never mind, crack on.

Wanted a range of heat, flavours and colours.
Decided to grow a representative from each type of chilli, and a couple of ornamentals.

Annuums:
Jalapeno
Serrano Tamaqueno
Baccatums :
Aji Norteno
Pubesens:
Rocoto Yellow
Chinese:
Safi scotch Bonnet
Fatalii
Dorset naga
Frutescens:
Hot Purrira Yellow

The seed company sent me some Ring Of Fire seeds free also.

For germination I leave them in some warm water in the airing cupboard overnight.
Then I use the paper towel in zip lock bags method, I fashioned a little water bath as i found that kept the temps close to 29C a lot better.

04032010006.jpg

Once germinated they go in this prop, the dirt is West+ with a vermiculite and perlite mix. Lives on the windowsill in daylight, in the light box at night.
I liked how I can transplant the seedlings in little individual plugs and that it is bottom watered. Not sure I'd recommend it now, but its OK.
There is about two weeks difference between the two pics:
26032010016.jpg

31032010032.jpg

I was not to happy with the way things were going, so I tried some of these pellet type things as well as my other method, seems like they work OK.

31032010035.jpg

The larger Bolivian Rainbow on the left was planted into soil 4 days after the smaller one on the right, that was put into those pellet things. Lack of nutes in the pellets?

22042010084.jpg

My superhots.
22042010086.jpg

Thanks for looking, I have a few queries:
A lot of the seedlings dont look green enough, what do you think?

They are getting almost 24/7 light, They are outside in direct sun from just after sunrise, then in the box at sunset. Should I give them some dark time?

This Aji Norteno's looks OK, but the leaves turn upwards, since this pic it has developed a small tear in a leaf. Any ideas on what that is about? (the tear could have been a bird or something...)
22042010077.jpg

This older plant has had two good sprays with epsom salts and water, it still has yellowy leaves, any ideas?
06042010047.jpg

Thanks in advance!

The plant in the pellet is probably having trouble growing roots through the netting, or if the pellet dries out too much and gets crusty its very difficult to get them wet enough again without a major soaking

Back