• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yahooooooooo Tabascos are ripening

The first 2 peppers have turned a beautiful brilliant red. Its really exciting. There is about 100 plus peppers on the larger plant. I'll pick some of the greens for bottling in white vinegar to put on my greens and pork chops or bacon and eggs and grits. Some I'll dry and grind to a powder and I'll let the balance fully ripen and also add to a bottle of vinegar and then grind the rest to a red powder saving the seeds for next spring
RipeTabasco006.jpg

Melonsandpepperespic009.jpg

Melonsandpepperespic010.jpg

I'll take more pictures as they ripen on the plant.

Congrats for the rippening chillis.

Your plants look very nice, full of fruits.
My tabasco is flowering right now so soon I'll share the same joy as you are experiencing :)

Bleash

I sure am looking forward to next season. I think the Tabasco is a really gorgeous plant and hope to plant maybe even a dozen or so. I just planted 2 I found by chance at the local Co-op. Hopefully the seeds from the mature fruit will germinate.

Good luck with yours and I know you'll be as jazzed as I was when the first appear. Its like first a few then the plants just comes alive with peppers. Too cool!

TnTom

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I saved seed from last years tobasco plants and to my surprise I have some type of hybrid. The pods are just coming on that are slender like a tobasco but not upright and are light green in color rather than yellow. In addition the habit and leaf structure is definitely chinense, so I thinking it is a tobasco X orange hab, Bhut, red caribbean, or cajamarca as these were the only chinense I grew last year.

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I saved seed from last years tobasco plants and to my surprise I have some type of hybrid. The pods are just coming on that are slender like a tobasco but not upright and are light green in color rather than yellow. In addition the habit and leaf structure is definitely chinense, so I thinking it is a tobasco X orange hab, Bhut, red caribbean, or cajamarca as these were the only chinense I grew last year.

cool. you might have a birds eye chinense :D

Too cool! I will have seeds of Tabasco x Naga at the end of the season if you would like to trade. :D

Tom those Tabasco's go nuts. Get A LOT of zip lock bags to freeze them in!

Too cool! I will have seeds of Tabasco x Naga at the end of the season if you would like to trade. :D

Tom those Tabasco's go nuts. Get A LOT of zip lock bags to freeze them in!

While on the subject, I'd had been told that the Tabasco peppers (and I'm assuming the same for any pepper) that if I want to save the seeds for next season to let them mature, turn red. When the two ripe peppers were picked they easily released from the cap. At that time can I cut the pepper and remove the seed to dry and bag the meat and freeze?

I noticed today that a few more are beginning to turn. If I pick them red and want to save in the freezer, as I use them and remove the seed after they have been frozen will the seed still be good?

This is all new to me, growing peppers and gardening in general. Maybe someone can clear something else up. If I plant for ex. a Tabasco next to some Jalapena or another kind pepper will they cross pollinate? If that were to occur will they become a hybrid? If that is the case will those seeds (from the hybrid) germinate?

Thanks for all the feedback. I just love the forum and this pepper stuff is hard on those of us who have addictive personalities. :arrow: Tom

While on the subject, I'd had been told that the Tabasco peppers (and I'm assuming the same for any pepper) that if I want to save the seeds for next season to let them mature, turn red. When the two ripe peppers were picked they easily released from the cap. At that time can I cut the pepper and remove the seed to dry and bag the meat and freeze?

I noticed today that a few more are beginning to turn. If I pick them red and want to save in the freezer, as I use them and remove the seed after they have been frozen will the seed still be good?

This is all new to me, growing peppers and gardening in general. Maybe someone can clear something else up. If I plant for ex. a Tabasco next to some Jalapena or another kind pepper will they cross pollinate? If that were to occur will they become a hybrid? If that is the case will those seeds (from the hybrid) germinate?

Thanks for all the feedback. I just love the forum and this pepper stuff is hard on those of us who have addictive personalities. :arrow: Tom

I dont think frozen seeds will germinate, but I may be wrong. If you want to be safe, dont freeze them, just dry them normally and store in a cool dry place until next spring.

There is a good chance of a cross if they are planted next to each other, but they have to flower at the same time and possibly get some help in the cross from insects or wind.

I had 9 plants this spring that lost their label sticks but I planted them anyways, they turned out to be tobasco, so I am also in the happy boat with the rest of you guys.

Back