• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

YAUPT

Looks like an Orange Hab, but the taste you say is pretty good. Orange Habs are not that great tasting, but they do have some deceit heat. I say Hab/Fresno cross. :dance:

I always thought habaneros looked like this:

davie_peach_454.jpg

but a google search on "peach habanero" also brings this:

VECHI19438_3.jpg

which looks a LOT like what I have...but the plant looks more like a serrano than this:

Habanero.jpg

Since I'm getting requests for seeds...what's the best way to ensure good viable seeds?

I presume the peppers need to be fully mature before collecting the seeds, but is it best to just ship a whole pepper, or remove the seeds? Do the seeds need to be dried before shipping?

One or two of the peppers I've eaten only had a few seeds inside. Is that normal with habaneros, or do they normally have dozens of seeds like a jalapeno or serrano?

pick the ripest possible ones, the best looking and best condition pods. open them up, put them on a paper plate and let them dry in room temperature. if it's warm, it should be dry around a week. look for a dry place. don't dry under the sun or you will toast them alive.

pack them in zip lock baggies.

at least that's how i do it.

if you don't dry them properly they'll end up moldy. so make sure they're nice and dry. i've had some seeds go moldy on me. even with silica gel which is supposed to suck out moisture and kill mold. (says so on the packaging)

Just a quick update. As these peppers have matured and ripened, the flavor has changed slightly, but the heat remains. I threw a couple into the oven with some vegetables my wife was roasting the other day, and they were so hot I couldn't finish them. (but they added a nice bit of spice to the vegetables.)

Much to my surprise and disappointment, there are very few seeds inside. On the average, maybe 8-10 seeds per pepper.

Very unlike my jalapenos and serranos that have dozens of seeds in each one.

most chinenses are like that, they have much less seeds per pod.

they're also slower and harder to grow. which is why they're usually more expensive when trying to buy seeds.

Whatever this thing is...it's prolific. I harvested close to 100 peppers over the weekend and still have at least 30 of various sizes and stages of ripening.

I've given away 4-5 dozen already to the couple of neighbors who would even try them...most won't even eat jalapenos...

I have a couple "strings" hanging up to dry, but that's a slow process.

Not sure wtf I'm gonna do with all these little fireballs, but I don't want to see them go to waste.

I've never tried habanero jelly, but we do like jalapeno jelly, so my wife & I are thinking about trying it. Anyone have any good recipes?

Back