• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Burkina

Hi All,

I am a bit confused. I bought some seeds "Burkina Yellow Habanero" from here, http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seeds_4.htm
Any way whilst looking around the web I came across this site http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/hot_peppers.htm and found "Scotch Bonnet Burkina Yellow". Are they the same thing with two names? Or are they two totally different plants?

Also I just had a look at the bag the seeds came in to check the name and on there it listed as just "Yellow Burkina", but to add to my confusion it also says it's Capsicum Annum. Anyone grown/growing this variety? Is it an Annum or Chinenese?

Cheers Ezzer.

I'm familiar with a yellow C. chinense going by the name "Burkina". extremely flavorful and quite hot as well.
Labeled most of the time as Scotch Bonnet and sometimes as Habanero, but it's neither. anyhow is it a C. chinense though, so if the seeds you ordered are in fact C. annuum, you've got a different chile there.

I'm familiar with a yellow C. chinense going by the name "Burkina". extremely flavorful and quite hot as well.
Labeled most of the time as Scotch Bonnet and sometimes as Habanero, but it's neither. anyhow is it a C. chinense though, so if the seeds you ordered are in fact C. annuum, you've got a different chile there.
Thanks Omri,

I ordered them because they were described as "Very pungent and full of flavour". I hope it's just a labelling error. And in fact it is a chinense. I'm new to growing peppers and have 6 varieties growing 3 annum, 2 chinense and this mystery. The annuums seem taller with thinner leaves, the chinense are shorter with broad leaves. The Burkina looks like the other Chinense I'm growing. Fingers crossed.

Ezzer.

all i know is that there are two peppers out there that have the burkina name. and they are those that you've mentioned.

In my opinion not Scotch bonnet or habanero but an excellent yellow C. chinenses from Burkina Faso in west Africa

Heard a lot of good things about them. Tried to grow them last year but the seeds where duds. Got em this year and cant wait to try them. For some reason the Chilliseedcompany thinks the Burkina is from the Caribbean???

Starting to think it's a marketing ploy by some of the seed companies to label them Scotch Bonnet or Habanero. To be honest as a first time grower I wouldn't have bought them if they hadn't of been named Habanero. But by the sounds of things I've landed on my feet with a good chilli variety.

Cheers for all the input guys.

Ezzer

Not really a marketing ploy, just a common continuation of poor identification practices. I've even seen Scotch bonnet and scorpions labelled incorrectly as habaneros :(

Here is the commercial source for the Burkina Seeds. Very strong fruity / flowery flavor. I have not been able to find a good use for them as they are so flavorful. They really take over the flavor of anything you use them with. Technisem is a French seed company that has commercially developed a lot of nice varieties. Trying Avenir this year. It is supposed to be have huge fruits. Tough Love Chile Company used to sell their whole line but stopped because they were a PIA to deal with. Now Semillas.de is the only place I have seen that has most of their line. Good Luck

Burkina Information

Here is the commercial source for the Burkina Seeds. Very strong fruity / flowery flavor. I have not been able to find a good use for them as they are so flavorful. They really take over the flavor of anything you use them with. Technisem is a French seed company that has commercially developed a lot of nice varieties. Trying Avenir this year. It is supposed to be have huge fruits. Tough Love Chile Company used to sell their whole line but stopped because they were a PIA to deal with. Now Semillas.de is the only place I have seen that has most of their line. Good Luck

Burkina Information
Thanks Beaglestorm, that is some great info, It's a good thing they are very resistant to heat, it's in the 100's here at the mo!

I bought the Burkinas from Tradewind's Fruit a couple of years ago and they were fantastic. Amazing flavor and a little milder than something like a Fatali but definitely a C. Chinense.

Back