• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Yellow Fatalii?

This plant was supposed to be an Yellow Fatalii.

The pods initially started in full black/purple color.
Then as they developed, they became purple-green pods and then to gree-yellow and when fully ripe, they transformed to pure yellow pods.

Does yellow fatalii do this? If not, can you please help me ID this pepper?

20190610_115413.jpg

20190710_161340.jpg

20190710_161357.jpg

20190709_110624.jpg

Cool one saiias!  I'd agree with those above that it looks like Fatalii crossed with an anthocyanin-producing variety.  Anthocyanin production is D, so will show in the F1.  And on top of a medium-green immature pod it shows dark purple to black. Then the anthocyanin and the chlorophyll decompose as it ripens allowing the yellow to show in the mature pod.  Since the anthocyanin decayed faster than the chlorophyll, yours are showing some amount of a medium-green phase before they go ripe yellow.  While anthocyanin production is D, anthocyanin retention is R, so there's the potential your hybrid, if it is indeed a hybrid, has that recessive gene and could retain the darker coloration through ripening in a future generation.  At least that's my take on what's likely happening here.  Whatever it is, it's cool, and hopefully the pods are tasty!

CaneDog said:
Cool one saiias!  I'd agree with those above that it looks like Fatalii crossed with an anthocyanin-producing variety.  Anthocyanin production is D, so will show in the F1.  And on top of a medium-green immature pod it shows dark purple to black. Then the anthocyanin and the chlorophyll decompose as it ripens allowing the yellow to show in the mature pod.  Since the anthocyanin decayed faster than the chlorophyll, yours are showing some amount of a medium-green phase before they go ripe yellow.  While anthocyanin production is D, anthocyanin retention is R, so there's the potential your hybrid, if it is indeed a hybrid, has that recessive gene and could retain the darker coloration through ripening in a future generation.  At least that's my take on what's likely happening here.  Whatever it is, it's cool, and hopefully the pods are tasty!
giphy-downsized.gif

saiias said:
New twist in this story is.. This was never meant to be a Fatalii.
This plant was supposed to be a 'Aji Limo'.

CD, does your theory still hold? Sorry for the confusion lol.

Oh, in that case, never mind...   ;)

Sure, the theory holds the same with Aji Limo. Another interesting thing here is that you're pulling yellow in the F1.  Yellow is a recessive trait and this type of yellow looks (to me anyway) like a combination of of two recessive genes (y and c2), so to get yellow and introduce A into the F1 it would have had to cross with a plant that carried not only the y and c2,but also the A too. The odds would suggest the pollen donor wasn't red - though it could have been.

This one has the potential for some interesting things in F2.  The yellow color should be stable already, unless it were to possibly go white - unlikely, though possible.  But you could get variation in how purple the immature pods are (a lighter purple is possible) and whether the purple stays through maturity so you can't see the underlying yellow.

Do you remember what the flowers looked like?  Was there color in the corolla?

So not a baccatum flower corolla. It looks like I see an annular constriction of the calyx, is that right?  And just one flower per node - is that right?  So maybe it's an interspecific cross baccatum x chinense?  This is a really interesting one to think about.  You saving seeds?

CaneDog said:
So not a baccatum flower corolla. It looks like I see an annular constriction of the calyx, is that right?  And just one flower per node - is that right?  So maybe it's an interspecific cross baccatum x chinense?  This is a really interesting one to think about.  You saving seeds?

Yes on saving seeds and also sending seeds.

Thanks for saving me some seeds.  I guess I was thinking aji limon maybe, IDK, but if it was supposed to be aji limo (chinense) then it would likely be a chinense x chinense hybrid, which makes more sense. Hope the taste holds well through the cross and looking forward to seeing what F2 brings with it!

Back