• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

yellow leaves?

I recently moved my lights up about 6in. above my plants and now the leaves are turning yellow...is this normal and okay for my peppers or no?

It's hard to say what exactly is causing the yellowing without seeing some pics, but I've never seen moving a light cause the leaves to yellow, unless you are using a 50watt incandescent :) What kind of light is it? Floro, HPS, and MH should not be causing the yellowing unless it is a really, REALLY weak lamp. Then you may be light starved.

Most likely it is a Nutrient problem. Are you growing soil or Hydro? What are you feeding and how often? What PH?
It could also be a magnesium deficiency depending on how the yellowing looks.
Pics would really help.

your plants are probably not getting enough light still, lower the light back down to a good level. but i might be wrong pictures would be good, of your plants and your set up please.

Ok, well I cant get pics, but I can tell you guys as much as possible about my set up.

I am growing in MG Organic Choice soil right now. I water with regular tap water every other day. SO far, I have not been fertilizing. I dont think it has to do with the water, because I use the same water that I have been since they were seeds. All my plants are 6 weeks old this week, and are about 4 inches tall with 3 or 4 sets of leaves on 4 of them, and the last one is short-ish and has about 6 sets of leaves. Its a bushy plant so far. The bushy one hasnt had any yellowing yet.

Anyway, Im using 2x40watt 4ft fluoros and they were hanging about 2 inches above my plants, but they started turning purple so I moved the lights to about 6 inches away, and now the leaves are yellowing. I am not fertilizing right now, but I do plant on picking some up. What kind should I use that is available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Ace Hardware? I was thinking the MG Tomato Food. Its 18-18-21 and has micro nutes in it too. Or should I be using something else at this stage in the game? I mean, I want to use something that for now will make my plants lush and big, and have a strong root base.

Thats all I can really say about my plants. Oh ya, Im growing yellow habanero and serrano.

Watering every other day is most likely too frequent and will cause yellowing, but you didn't say what size container. If they were mine I'd get them out of that MG mix into something better you may have available locally. The fertilizer you mentioned is fine, just cut your solutions strength by 1/2 and don't feed too often until they get larger.

Theyre in 3 inch peat pots. I think the right size for the size of my plants. After 2 days, the soil is usually mostly dry so I water it again. Should I wait until it is bone dry? And the MG has been working really well for me actually. It doesnt get hard at all. In fact, the roots have already begun to grow out of the bottom of the peat, so its not prohibiting anything really.

I wouldn't water more than twice per week and bottom water.

I'm not alone when it comes to dissatisfaction with MG organic mix. Search the site.

If you're in a 3" pot with 5 and 6 sets of true leaves and roots exiting the bottom; it's time to pot up and I'd recommend using something other than MG when you do. :)

I agree that it's probably time to pot up. I also used MG organic and it sucked. It got hard as cement. I can't get Pro Mix in my area so i have been making my own soil. So far it is working. I too think you are probably watering too much. I have three or four plants that are about 3" tall and they have yellow leaves. I have been trying to figure out the problem as I have used bone mean, lime and blood meal and nothing seems to help. I just potted up several plants and when i took the plants out of their home, the soil beneath the surface around the roots were soaked. I had them in 8 oz and 16 oz cups with 6-8 holes drilled in the bottom so it was not a drainage issue. I think I got too anxious and didn't want them to die so I watered lightly 2 times a week. I guess it was too much. So now I stopped watering until they start to wilt. I am using this year as a learning year so hopefully my plants will be much better next year. I am still hoping that this years plants produce. Time will tell.

Like others are saying, it is definitely time to pot them up. I'd go into 5 gallon buckets at a minimum and get some more light on them if possible, otherwise they will be light starved and won't grow near as well as they should. Those lights are fine for small plants, but not mature producers.
I've had issues as well with the MG organic and avoid it. If you can find it go with Pro-mix or Fox Farms even though I think its a little on the spendy side for FF. Even regular Miracle grow is better than their organic line.
I'd give them a misting of Epsom salt and water at this stage as well, unless you have already done so. Thats something mine always need right around the stage yours are at.

For Ferts, I make a Tea.
I use 5 gallon paint strainers from lowe's as a "Teabag" and put the following inside it.

3 big both handfulls of compost (You can buy it in big bags if you are unable to make your own).
3 big both Handfulls of Alfalfa pellets (Order in bulk, or at petstore as "reptile pellets". Try and get the pure form, some of it has weird additives I would rather not feed to my plants).

Tie off bag and place in a 5 gallon bucket
Fill bucket up with water
Add 1 cup Hydrogen peroxide 3%
Add roughly 4-5 tbs Blackstrap molasses
Occasionally I will add fish emulsion to the mix as well, but not for every feeding.
I add an air bubbler to each bucket, and mix them by hand 2-3 times a day for 3 days in a warm location Outside.

If it smells like rotting nastiness you messed up and it went bad in which case start over or bad things happen. It only goes bad if you don't mix it enough and keep enough air bubbling through it.

After 3 days I pull the bag out and slowly twist it up tight over the bucket. Careful not to break it. Get all the juice out. Then I fill the bucket all the way with tepid water, and add some Superthrive. Then I feed the plants a couple of cups each, about every 10-15 days depending on how the look.

Also, take the compost out of the tea bags and spread it around your garden if you have one, or onto the top of the potted plants if there is enough room for it. They love it, my tomato's go crazy after I give them a fresh shot.

If you are growing completely inside, this method will have a lot more smell than store bought ferts.

Back