• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellow Pepper Plant

Hello new member here. I recently purchased 3 Jalapeno hot pepper plants and one Gypsy sweet pepper plant. They were bought from home depot and are Bonnie plants in those peat pots.

I removed the peat pots and planted them in some Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix with some Kellog Natural & Organic Tomatoe Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer 4-6-3 mixed in per instructions. My jalapeno plants appear to be growing well so far but the gypsy sweet pepper plant is fairly yellow in appearance which is how we bought it, the only one they had of that variety ( my girlfriend picked out that one).

I fertilized them all once when transplanting about a week and a half ago with kellog organic fish & seaweed fertilizer 2-2-2 to give them a little boost until the other fertilizer becomes available. Just wondering what could be causing the gypsy to not green up. Anyways here are some pics

Jalapeno Plant #1
FD0D95C4-D376-4CFA-B6D2-702755B90624_zpsmazzqd0n.jpg

Jalapeno Plant #2
BC4C86AC-1221-4A22-A9FA-8848FCCEE95D_zpsovt9b5zk.jpg

Jalapeno Plant #3
97773460-4FAE-4D5A-A754-4E563C73F53A_zpsft1c3bpo.jpg

Gypsy Sweet Pepper Plant
5FAE09EA-64E6-40C1-B05B-D38A974B8EDC_zpsz8gcrpag.jpg

The new growth appears to be greening up but some advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I live in vegas just in case that helps.

The large majority of the time yellowing comes from overwatering. Could be from human intervention or rain, doesn't matter. If  you back off the watering the new growth will come in greener, though the old growth will not return to green. Also, the smaller leaves seem to be exhibiting early signs of fertilizer burn. Plants that young don't need much - usually  no more than 1/4 the amount listed on the label. You may want to flush well or possibly repot without it for a bit.

I agree,  except that the growth will not turn back to green.  In my experience they in fact DO green back up.  

Those smaller leaves were damaged like that when we got the gypsy plant it wasn't in the greatest shape it also had scale on the undersides of the leaves which I manged to remove from the plant. Most of the leaves had small lesions though.

The jalapenos don't look to be burned at all even the young leaves but I definately will be holding off the fertilizer for a while until they get a little bigger. When do you reccomend I start fertilizing them again? They are about 5" tall except for the gypsy which is about 7-8" tall. Only had them about a week & a half so far.

As far as overwatering goes though I have been watering every other day or slightly longer by 1 day to the point they start wilting slightly and letting the soil get pretty dry about 3" down and it has been about 75-80° this past week. So I don't think I am overwatering them. Although home depot could have been overwatering them I suppose which could be why it was yellow at the time we bought it.

Will the older yellow leaves recover or just the new growth? Should I prune the older yellow leaves as new growth comes in? Thanks for the help.

Jamison said:
I agree,  except that the growth will not turn back to green.  In my experience they in fact DO green back up.  
I have not had that experience at all. Interesting.
I am thinking since the leaves were yellow when your purchased them, likely it was Home Depot overwatering. Your mention of letting the leaves droop a tad tells me it's not you. I don't bother removing old leaves unless they are clearly gonners, but you can. I'd suggest waiting another week before using fertilizer again.

Back