• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Yellow Scorpion Cardi

I have some Yellow Scorpion Cardis growing and in amongst them I have noticed two seedlings with red stems. I noticed the red stems at germination but in the last couple of weeks the leaves have started to develop a dark coloring on them too. Has anyone else noticed this. I didnt mix the seeds up. These all came as Yellow Scorpion Cardi
PC210007.jpg

Single red stem and red stem in a group with 2 normal looking YSC

PC210013.jpg

Side view showing red stems

PC210006.jpg

3 normal YSC

PC210005.jpg

Stems of Normal YSC

PC210014.jpg

Closeup of tinted, red stemed YSC

Probably just anthocyanin pigment defending against strong UV light, but not sure why they all aren't showing this if they are in the same environment

I've seen the same thing in my tomatoes and peppers. I've also had dark purple leaves. But, all that went away when I started using a complete hydro nutrient.
I don't know if a nute deficiency is the cause but the change certainly helped me. If it matters, I use a T5 light bank with 4 red and 4 blue bulbs to start everything under.

No joke, think of it this way...its kinda of like the plants are getting a tan. Seriously. Its a defense mechanism against light, like Pot said. The stems are perfectly fine. With the leaves doing it, how close are your lights? Either way, your plants are perfectly healthy!

Well I will just keep an eye on them as they grow as even as seedlings these two had red stems. So noticably different that I tagged em to keep track in case they changed later on.

As others said... No worries. They are fine. I start mine under florescents and some get purple stems and leaves and others stay green. Some of my Thai Hots got REALLY purple this past spring and as soon as they went outside into the real light they all turned green again.

Back