• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health yellow spots... help!

The naga seedlings aren't old at all. Will post a photo if necessary.
I asked for some advice the other day and I tried it, I fed it quality fert.

I'm not sure if it takes more than 1 day or 2 to fix itself up or if the spots ever go away, I did take a few leaves off that were problematic.
wondering if it may be getting too much sun? it's out there all the time during the day, as for over-watering, I don't saturate it but I don't let it go dry So I'm not sure if it's getting the right amount of water. It's usually damp. I gave it a feed of lime and sea salt yesterday with it's first time fertilizing.

Is there anything else that typically happens when it comes to plant health? maybe I missed something important....

I 've never heard of feeding a plant sea salt. I've heard of epsom salt and I've heard of seaweed fertilizers, but never sea salt. A picture would be your best bet. I would probably try to flush out the sea salt with fresh water. Did you "harden off" your plants before exposing them to full sun?

I just looked up sea salt and I guess some people use it for plants, but excess amounts will cause yellowing foliage. It sounds like you had yellow spots before the salt though. I would post a pic and describe everything you've done with the plants so far. Someone here will have answers for you. Good luck

before you read my rambling, check the pics out and make a general diagnosis, hoping I am being a paranoid newbie cause they are bigger than when I planted them

Okay, from the start with pics.

I bought seedlings of 'naga' plants from the mudbrick herb farm. I potted one on arrival in a medium sized pot full of just soil without breaking the roots apart and without fertilizer, I did add some lime immediately into this one.
The second I potted about a week later, it was watered once or twice while inside but watered lightly. It was put into a large pot with around about 50% soil and 50% seed raising mix with some lime, again no fertilizer. I broke the roots apart and dug a hole to plant it in a hole, as I have recently discovered this technique whilst doing some landscaping work. I did douse the plants in a solution that came with the seedlings, it was dried seaweed concentrate, which I mixed in recommended proportions before potting and pouring a bit of the remainder on the roots after potting.

So I assume I didn't 'harden off' the plants, I am interested in this idea if you can inform me.

I continued to water the plants so that when I put my finger into the soil around about 80mm I could feel damp soil, but not enough that I brought any soil back up with my finger, damp not saturated. I still don't know how much water they should have I am just taking guesses. They have been in the heat (23-28) degrees during the daytime permanently while I go to work. Oh, I have primarily been watering the plants around the roots at night time, also avoiding watering the leaves.

The other day I noticed this problem, which is now not so obvious and the plants are healthy looking (to an inexperienced gardener) and I am probarbly being paranoid, I called the supplier for some advice and asked my neighbor who is an experienced gardener, he gave me some quality compost/mulch mix with lime, and some salt (for magnesium I'm told). I put some of the mix in, but not all of it and enough to coat the pot around 10-15mm so it's an okay feed and I have more if I need it. I diluted the salt solutions to the recommended ratio's and poured it around the roots. remember that stuff is for magnesium.

The problem seemed to fade before long, I cut off the bad leaves (should have taken a photo), threw them out, the plants are actually much bigger than they originally were. I want to believe I'm being paranoid.

The below images were taken tonight on my phone, let me know if any of this is even slightly unhealthy...

problem1.jpg

problem2.jpg

problem3.jpg

Just looking at it through the photos, should I try to straighten them up somehow?

If u didn't harden them off first and put them directly into the elements that is more than likely problem #1.

identified the problem as spidermites, so I have done a lot of research and hopefully my attempts at erradicating them will succeed, just gotta keep up the treatment :)

Back