• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellowing leaf question for the pros.

Peppers are growing, getting their second and third sets of leaves. Water (mist spray) everyday and they have received a diluted dose of plant food. They are appx. 3" under 4' double T8 6500k FL running 18 hours a day. I am beginning to notice some yellowing on the leaf edges. Is this a problem? What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing right?

At a quick guess I'd say you could be under or over feeding them, what nutrients are you giving them and how much?

No pics, camera is broke. I feeding them Miracle-Gro water soluble 18-18-21 at half strength (1/2 Tsp. per gallon of H20). Feed them via a hand mist sprayer once a week. The yellowing is right on the leaf edge but now I have a couple of plants with leaves that are yellowing from the leaf tip back towards the stem. Should I be avoiding getting any water on the leaf; water soil only?

Definately bottom feed them! I do it exclusively now and my plants love it, no more yellow. I do occasionally mist the dry ones with just water and to get them through til the next feeding. I also rotate back and forth on food and water. 1 week water, next week food, next week water, etc...

Thanks to all who have responded; got late last night and went to bed.

The Miracle-Gro 18-18-21 has .50% Mg, .05% Cu, .10% Fe, .05% Mn, .05% Zn. As mentioned prior, mixed at 1/2 Tsp. per gallon of R.O. water in a one gallon milk jug (well cleaned). I do not see any undisolved crystals in the mixture; give a shake every time before use. I've always had good results with M-G in the summer when the plants are outside and planted. If there are better recommendations, I'm all ears.

I will heed the advice and only bottom feed from this point forward. The started trays are still on heat mats and I have to mist water them everyday. They seem to dry out constantly. I'm using Sunshine LP5 plug mix (water retention seems to be medicore) and have the seedlings under 6500k FL for 18 hours a day. Should I scale back on the time?

The advice from Burger is to continue feeding on a once a week basis to work through this. As for the excess watering issue, if I don't water daily, they wilt like crazy (especially the annums that are just coming up). The chinese are a little farther along and are holding up better.

Thanks in advance!

MIPEPPERGUY ,

I hope this gets sorted out for you . I've been having some small plant problems myself that I'm working out. So the thoughts aren't from an expert.

Most gardeners with a little time under their belts don't like Miracle Grow products . I know ..... #1 retail seller !! How could 50 billion French people be wrong ?? That's probably not what's up for now.

Your plants wilting could be from several things. Drying out is one. There are these cheap moisture meters you can get. They aren't a great tool and are not really very right on. BUT they will give you an idea, a place to start. Learn to " feel " the weight of the pot & plants at different stages of wetness. IMHO it's better to lean towards being a little dry at times than being overly wet all the time.

Some plants seem to wilt a little towards the end of a long light cycle . They're Pooped ... ?? The next morning they're standing tall at the "crack of bulb" . So they weren't wilted from dryness. I also think a plant that's dry ... fixin' to gag looks different.

Don't change the 18 hrs... or very little. Nows the time you want long hours to grow a big strong plant that will support your pepper growth .

Guess I need to go back to the Drunk Chef section .....

Good luck & Peace,
P. Dreadie

I'm having the same thing on one or two of my plants, I'm going to get some pics then hit them with a weak as hell epsom salt spritz to see how it goes.

Back