• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Yet another Aphid question

Last winter and spring, I had a pretty bad case of aphids in my indoor grow room/nursery.
I am sure the aphids came inside with my over-winter plants.
There have been no plants in the nursery  since all were transplanted outdoors after Mother's Day.

What are the chances of any aphid eggs/larvae  surviving / remaining in the nursery room for this winter/spring seedlings?
I will be using all new soil and pots.
Should I bomb / fog the nursery room?

I would take any preventative measures to ensure they are irradiated . Some guys literally dip each plant in a super diluted bleach and water solution and re pot removing all the old soil from the roots . 

I would definitely bleach down all of the surfaces in your grow room, but I wouldn't bomb it if it were me. I'm not a huge fan of insecticides though.

When I prep my plants for OW, I trim off literally all foliage, and clean the roots completely of all previous soil. I completely submerge my cleaned plants in a light solution of dish soap and water for a good 5-10 minutes before repotting in completely fresh soil. I haven't had any issues with aphids indoors when I do these steps.

Here are is a pic of a couple of OWs I prepped last week. No foliage and clean roots.

Attachments

• 20151015_163936.jpg
    20151015_163936.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 43
Very small, but leave it open to the cold for a little why just to make sure. I had such bad aphids last year that the floor was sticky from honeydew, but three of my plants survived and are back in this year. The aphids are back also, but I'm blasting them and the fookin broad mites with azamax this time.

Azamax kills them 100 percent, just in case, I would do 3 treatments for peace of mind. Once you go azamax, there's no going back.

My lady's have made a good come back this year.  They usually overwinter in my soffit.  The last 2 hard winters slowed them down.  There were over 1000 landing today to overwinter.  More to come!  Once you give them a warm place to overwinter they are out of control. 

Back