• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yet another leaf curl thread PLEASE HELP

Hey all, Sethsquatch here.

I've been noticing lately that my 5 gallon bucket grown red hab is really curling up on the leaves.

Was hoping someone could give me a "oh that's normal" or "your plant is doomed" type of response.

It's getting pretty loaded up and is still flowering and other than the leaf curl seems healthy. night and day temps are cooling down between 80ºday and 60º night.

Here are the pics:

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

How much are you fertlizing it and watering it? it could be that its getting overwater or having to much fertilzer or both.

also that bottom picture that little bug on the leave, kept scratching my screen thinking it was dirty. LOL

No it doesn't wilt much. I probably am over loving it. Kinda OCD. Ha! I didn't even notice the bug! I added some organic fert a couple weeks ago which could be the issue.

first thing I would look for is thrips...you will need a magnifying glass...they cause leaf curl so if you don't have them, you can rule that out..

after a bit of reading about these thrips, It says they are attracted to bright blue. and that Bright blue sticky cards should be able to let you know if they are there..
after that i see alot of things saying insect soap.. im guessing so they will be clean.. haha
nah but really. thats supposed to kill them.

If you don't have bugs try some epsom salt & calcium. lack of calcium will cause leaf curl. Neem and Ivory soap will take care of bugs, mix a 1 1/2 teaspoons of each in 1 Qt. of warn water spray three or four times every seven days. Works for me.

OK. So I added some coffee to the soil to make the leaves less appetizing. Here is the deal. I think it's just the first growth leaves from the first round of pods curling up and dying and being replaced by new leaves.

This ever happen to anyone?

I had an early harvest of 32 peppers. Now it's loaded up again with lots of new growth, none of which has the leaf curl. The leaf curl is only on the old growth leaves.

:confused:

Also added a little epsom love.

I had a plant go through the same thing. Didn't do anything at first and just kept an eye on it. Went away on it's own. Strange eh? Not a lot of help I know but it sounds like what ever your problem was it fixed itself too. Cool.

Seth, tbsp or two of epsom salt in a gallon of warm water, water it in, and spray the plant with it. Let me know what happens. OK? Post pictures again of same plant in a couple days. :)

I actually did do that and it helped a bunch. Plants are gone now for the season. I didn't overwinter because I am growing all new varieties starting next season. I think it may have been a bit slug related too. Those devils were all over my plants and I didn't catch it until late in the season, right around the epsom watering time. Coffee seemed to help but also went with sluggo. Viola, presto, all gone. The leaves that did it were all old growth from the first round of pods too. The new ones didn't show any curl. Strange.

Thanks Guru!
:)

Back