• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Yet another New World's Hottest Pepper thread

Commonwealth said:
Bigglesworth, are you sure about the Reapers being tested across the board? I thought this was the main criticism - that the trinidad moruga was hotter overall on average, and that Ed had merely picked an outlier for his Guiness record.

Yes, I'm sure.    The testing was done over time at Winthrop University.

See this link.

Winthrop

Here is the NMSU study done by Dr. Paul Bosland et. al.   that established the Moruga as world's hottest.   If only they had a sample of reapers to test at that same time.

NMSU pepper study

I'm not suggesting one method was better than the other, you can read that the NMSU study showed both the low-to-high range and individual plant outliers while Winthrop's used large quantities to get an average capsaicin level.

I wonder if there are any more recent studies?

I have said here before the person who can market a legit "do-it-yourself" kit for pepper testing will make a small fortune. :rofl:

It would be nice to see one facility do the testing. It's like letting track and field stars from the 1980s do their own drug testing. The average Joe's that grown designer superhots know what the hottest are,and the Reaper and Moruga Scorpion are behind quite a few.

I'm glad it's not one testing facility only, otherwise they would charge a packet to test and you would be obliged to pay if you wanted the record..

I can see the future now. Going out to your garden with your heat checking gun measuring the capsicum levels in your pepper before their even picked. It also has a feature on it for checking the maturity of your watermelon so you don't have to thump to with your finger.

robbyjoe01 said:
I can see the future now. Going out to your garden with your heat checking gun measuring the capsicum levels in your pepper before their even picked. It also has a feature on it for checking the maturity of your watermelon so you don't have to thump to with your finger.
I'm curious if this will be able to measure capsaicin content, would be pretty cool! :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903107259/scio-your-sixth-sense-a-pocket-molecular-sensor-fo/description

degenerate said:
I'm curious if this will be able to measure capsaicin content, would be pretty cool! :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/903107259/scio-your-sixth-sense-a-pocket-molecular-sensor-fo/description
It's about time we had a Star Trek tricorder!
star_trek_endgame_tricorder.jpg

Back