• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

(yet another) What Is This..?

Hey folks, my peppers are all looking good, despite our "June Gloom", that looks like it may continue into July. One of my plants that's been doing great from the start, is becoming overloaded with peppers. Problem is, I've no idea what this is. I bought it as a "Fresno", but never having grown Fresno before, I was expecting something different looking. These are all about 1.5 cm across, and about 5-6 cm long. So far, the heat seems close to a fairly hot Cayenne or maybe the Thai chili I'm growing. Definitely much hotter than Jalapeno. All peppers are still light yellow-green, with a few turning purple-black on the skin, possibly from sunburn. All are growing upright. Any idea what this is, and suggestions on what they're good for? Thanks!

4745816259_d38c60ec26_b.jpg

4745815975_77007e0657_b.jpg

If they go from green to yellow, to purple, to orange then Red I would guess purira. They look a whole lot like mine do except a little greener.
One of my puriras has heat like you describe, the others are much less than jalapenos.

I so don't miss the June Gloom. That got old when I lived in Encinitas.

Sorry for the noobness but what is "June Gloom"?

-Josh

It's a depressing gloomy grayness that Southern Kalifornistan gets around June. Sometimes it goes through July. Basically you don't see the sun for a while and everything is a weird Gray color.
Sometimes the sun Burns it off in the afternoon and you get a few hours a day of sun, but other times it will be a week or so of straight gray.

It's a depressing gloomy grayness that Southern Kalifornistan gets around June. Sometimes it goes through July. Basically you don't see the sun for a while and everything is a weird Gray color.
Sometimes the sun Burns it off in the afternoon and you get a few hours a day of sun, but other times it will be a week or so of straight gray.

So it's like Michigan all year.
God I hated that.

Still kinda looks like a Fresno = http://thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=fresno&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

FRESNO

Species: Annuum Origin: USA Heat: Medium

Fresno peppers are similar in shape and heat to jalapeño peppers (5-700 SHU) and are grown extensively in California, Texas and New Mexico. This cold tolerant plant grow approximately 2-2.5 ft tall by 20 inches wide and are prolific beaers of upright arrow shaped 2-3 inch long by 1in wide peppers which mature from bright green to orange to a beautiful deep red . The peppers have a slight sweetness about them and are fantastic when used fresh for salsas. Also known as Chile Carbide orChile Cera.

Yep; from an on-shore flowing marine layer. It's been keeping us cool so far, this summer. Burns off by around 11 AM, most days.

BTW - (off topic) I'm probably one of the few in "Kalifornistan" who's in support of Arizona. I sure wish we'd adopt similar state legislation. You should see the selection of shopping carts lining my street...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how these "fresno" peppers are, once ripened. I was expecting something that looks more like a Jalapeno, but these are much thinner, and hotter too.

Thanks, everyone. :)

Yep; from an on-shore flowing marine layer. It's been keeping us cool so far, this summer. Burns off by around 11 AM, most days.

BTW - (off topic) I'm probably one of the few in "Kalifornistan" who's in support of Arizona. I sure wish we'd adopt similar state legislation. You should see the selection of shopping carts lining my street...

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how these "fresno" peppers are, once ripened. I was expecting something that looks more like a Jalapeno, but these are much thinner, and hotter too.

Thanks, everyone. :)

They do look more like Fresno's than my Purira's. Your peppers are much more green than mine ever were when unripe. Good luck with them, they look productive and should be tasty.

The funny thing with immigration law is, our law is almost identical to existing Kali law. Your officials just choose to not do their jobs and enforce it. So much for being a nation of laws.

Super Chili. I grew a few of these last year. They have decent cayenne like heat and are very thin walled. Incredible producer as well. I picked 150 or so pods off of my plant and still had a whack left over to ripen on the plant.

Back