• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite You Favorite Red "Habanero"

Zackorz said:
Sadly i didnt measured them, but you can guess their size compared to the "holes" in the paper:

111qxe9.jpg

They both look small for Congo Triinidads; i guess there's a lot of variables that decide pod size, but the one on the left is straight-up tiny

They do look very small for a congo. The red Trinidad Congos I received in an SFRB last year were huge! One of the largest habs I have seen to date. It was also the hottest hab I have tried, quite a bit hotter than a red savina. I have yet to try the Antillais Caribbean Red hab, but my favorite red hab to date is the West Indies Hab. I really liked the flavor profile of this hab and it was surprisingly hot. Another nice hab I tried this year was the Mayan Hab. It had a great flavor and heat wise was slightly less hot than the typical orange hab. This one may not be a true hab though because of its unusual shape for a hab and there are many that believe it is a cross with a cayenne.

cloudhand said:
They do look very small for a congo. The red Trinidad Congos I received in an SFRB last year were huge! One of the largest habs I have seen to date. It was also the hottest hab I have tried, quite a bit hotter than a red savina. I have yet to try the Antillais Caribbean Red hab, but my favorite red hab to date is the West Indies Hab. I really liked the flavor profile of this hab and it was surprisingly hot. Another nice hab I tried this year was the Mayan Hab. It had a great flavor and heat wise was slightly less hot than the typical orange hab. This one may not be a true hab though because of its unusual shape for a hab and there are many that believe it is a cross with a cayenne.

The Antillais is very good, but i liked the "Westindian" a bit more.
 Was the "Congo" also sweet and had a nice "habanero-taste"? There is a "red mayan" and a "mayan red", confusingly they are different peppers. 

I have seeds for the more rare  "Mayan type", a more roundish pepper.

Foodarama red, as others have reported, has a bitter flavor. Does not taste at all like a yellow scotch bonnet. Flavor is not bad, but not a favorite.

I had issues with congo red fully ripening before turning soft. Flavor was excellent - and also excellent while still green or half green half red. Congo yellow was more productive for me and the taste was just as good.

Antillais was delicious, but didn't have much of that habanero aroma that you can smell on the other side of the room after cutting. This is my first choice if i am looking for a delicious hot red pepper that will not dominate the flavor of my dish

West Indies was very productive, stayed crisp while ripening, and overall seemed the easiest to grow. Nicely aromatic. This would be my first choice when I want a red pepper with a more noticeable flavor and aroma.

To me, all of these red peppers lack a strong distinctive flavor, compared to varieties such as jamaican yellow scotch bonnet or orange habanero.

Im in search of a really flavorfull and hopefully also sweet Red Habanero for next years grow.

I like really strong chinense taste (floral and fruity) and sweetness. The more aroma the better.

Can you recommend a Red Habanero ? Please no superhots, just Habaneros.

i Found some Types that could be interesting :

- Scotch Bonnet Safi
- Antillais Carribbean Habanero
- Habanero Surinam Red
- Congo Red

But im open for any kind of good red Habanero.
Caribbean Red

Back