• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

You know what sh!ts me??

i've been baby-ing my little seedlings in proper little pots and making sure they dont get too much water, enough heat etc.... the seeds I dumped into my junk pot are doing so much better than my baby'd ones!! i've now got six little seedlings in my junk pot.. with one that came up after my looked after ones.. doing way better than the cared for ones.. WTF?? should i just dump my seeds in a pot and ignore it in future?? i think maybe!!!

Yes for you that would be the best option. :rofl: Sorry i couldn't resist.

One thing to remember, chillis are NOT a cultivar for the purposes involved here. They were dropped by birds as sh!t in the past and they did just fine, as long as they have moisture and dirt they will grow.

all jokes aside, it probably would be the best option.. even some of the scotch bonnets i dumped in the pot are coming up.. but having said that.. i've dumped so many seeds / chilli's in the pot i'll probably need help identifying whats what in a few weeks.. the seedlings in the junk pot look so much stronger / healthier.. maybe next year thats what i'll do.. its probably too late in the season to start again now.. good news though.. my dad's going to build me a green/hot/house so they dont all die over winter.. whooohooo!!

That is great news Mel. They will slow down to about zilch with our winter but at least you are being pro-active. Make sure to keep an eye on them during the hot days of winter though (might sound wierd but i am sure that you know what i mean), if they get too stuffy they won't like it. Also don't water them during winter much, you may want to invest in a moisture meter or get your finger calibrated ;)

i just dont want to have all of this summer wasted making sure that they are all doing well and then what.. frosty winter comes along and fcks it all up.. no thanks.. my dad needs projects anyways.. he says he's getting bored.. i know i wont get much action over winter but its better than everything dying and starting over again next year.. the jalepeno has done so well in its first year.. yeah its had curly leaves and stuff but the amount of pods its producing this year.. if i can keep it alive and pot it bigger or in the ground next year.. (we have room.. so no drama's there!) it will be awesome..

ok.. that glass of pina colada slushie has kicked in.. i'm rambling.. so off to bed for round 1.. (of attempting to sleep that is!! i know how things get mis-construed on this forum!!)
0)

mel said:
i've been baby-ing my little seedlings in proper little pots and making sure they dont get too much water, enough heat etc.... the seeds I dumped into my junk pot are doing so much better than my baby'd ones!! i've now got six little seedlings in my junk pot.. with one that came up after my looked after ones.. doing way better than the cared for ones.. WTF?? should i just dump my seeds in a pot and ignore it in future?? i think maybe!!!

Yeah, funny that sh*t!

I was just observing the same thing not so long ago..
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?16603-Volunteers!

mel, maybe you should check what is in the junk pot a far as soil goes...

its just the same soil as what is in my other plants.. i've got the seedlings growing in seedling mix.. i guess thats the difference?

hmmmmm....I don't know how you are starting them and all...do you have a thread that says how you have started your seeds...i.e....temperature ?, type soil/seed starting mix, light?...etc

if you really want to get into this, that would be cool...others could chime in if they catch any one thing that could cause your dilemna...in my estimation, it is likely a combination of variables...

You mentioned that you've dumped peppers into the pot, do you mean whole peppers? Could it simply be that you've got a great compost forming in this pot from the remnants of peppers that have been thrown into it?

I dunno but I find that chillies grow better with a certain amount of neglect, I know its hard when starting seeds as you always wanna check and see what action there is, nowadays all I check is moisture of the soil if any look like they are suffering then they get closer attention but all I've had to do so far this season is water when needed

Neglect and stressing a plant are much different in my opinion
Stressing a plant may make the pods hotter but it will likely also make for a weaker plant therefore I'd only try stressing a plant that's already loaded with pods

mel said:
its just the same soil as what is in my other plants.. i've got the seedlings growing in seedling mix.. i guess thats the difference?

Seed starting mix has little to NO nutes and is used for germination. I don't know what is in your junk pot but since you stated its the same potting mix for your other plants I'm assuming it includes some type of plant food and thus the difference. Start feeding your seedlings in the starting mix a weak (1/4 to 1/2 solution) until they are ready to transplant to your grow mix. Compost/manure tea or a fish emulsion works well.

hmm, the idea of a junk pot for ungerminated seeds seems to be a good idea.

i think i will implement it in my set up :)

Hi guys,

thanks for all the responses.. AJ I dont have a starter thread, but i didnt do anything too fancy, just some seed potting mix in jiffy pots in a mini-greenhouse thingo.. i made sure they didnt dry out but werent too wet and kept them in a warm well ventilated spot.. it helped that when they were germinating we got good weather - it was very warm.. it didnt take them long to pop up, probably about a week and a half for 90% of the seeds to pop up. Before putting them in i tested for floaters and dumped anything that floated in the junk pot..
Once they popped up I took off the lid to the mini greenhouse and just kept up the water as i thought necessary. They've been outside, no fancy light set up or anything..

The junk pot is old potting mix (probably with some remnants of fertiliser) and just sits in the backyard, i dont water it and dump any yucky leaves or pods into it.. so I'd say it has all this extra stuff in it..

dont get me wrong, the seedlings arent doing too bad and are starting to form their first set of leaves, its just ironic that the ones i do nothing to and pretty much ignore are doing so well.. one already has two sets of leaves!! There is a good chance that the one that is doing so well is an annum and that would grow quicker than the bhuts, habs and SBs so it kinda makes sense..

I've moved the seedlings out next to the junk pot.. hoping they'll get jealous and kick into growing gear.. I'll give it a weak feed of fish emulsion and see how it goes..

I think the way you described the junk pot is the key...old leaves and stuff make compost which is high in nutrients and with the left over fertilize, that may be the key...

AlabamaJack said:
I think the way you described the junk pot is the key...old leaves and stuff make compost which is high in nutrients and with the left over fertilize, that may be the key...

I agree, that's why I was asking what had been thrown into it.

i was of the impression that the seedlings had to be kept nute-free... I guess this proves me wrong?

Back