• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Young plants and LED grow light?

Hi, i have started to grow for the 2015 now, but i moved some of the plants when thay was 1,5-2" high in to a place that have LED grow light and not only light tubes (6500K). The LED are maybe 15" above the plants, but they started to get sunburn spots and the leaves started to curl on the sides, i then moved them back under the light tubes and the leaves straightened out, the light tubes are maybe 4" above the plants. Is LED grow lights to strong for young plants (4 weeks old)?

Plant leaves grow to maximize their efficiency in the light/environment they start in. When you change that environment the leaves need an adjustment period to acclimate, to be exposed a little at a time.

New leaves that start under the new light shouldn't have this problem unless the light itself is just too strong but that's hard to imagine with ready made LED lighting products.

I have a 120w led growing light hanging about 9" above the small plants, that are inside the mini greenhouse and no problems so far. :woohoo:

Posting pictures would help. The problem might or might not be the lights.

Some people put the lights as close as 2 inches to the plants without a problem.

This plant got dark spots when it was under the LED.
xhdk258.jpg

And this is the LED
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoldRing4-300W-High-Yield-LED-Grow-Light-Grow-Faster-Flower-Bigger-Best-Choice-/181384496756

The symptoms sound like potassium deficiency.

Nutrient deficiencies can occur when the light intensity is increased, but the nutrients are not increased. With more light, the plant is both growing faster, and working (photosynthesizing) harder.
Ideally, you should increase both light intensity and nutrient by increments.

mikeg said:
The symptoms sound like potassium deficiency.

Nutrient deficiencies can occur when the light intensity is increased, but the nutrients are not increased. With more light, the plant is both growing faster, and working (photosynthesizing) harder.
Ideally, you should increase both light intensity and nutrient by increments.

3 weeks old plants, should they have nutrient?

pwb said:
3 weeks old plants, should they have nutrient?
I don't know... if the soil has no nutrients, or no nutrient remaining, then yes. Use fertilizer at 1/4 recommended concentration. Possibly even as weak as 1/8 for the 1st feeding.

I would recommend going to 1/10th - they don't need much at all at this point. 

That aside, it seems you have another issue - the soil seems very wet. You see the brown shade on the perlite? That should be nearly white. The brown is a common sign that fungus has started growing, due to excessive moisture. If you don't already have a fan on them, get one. Also, back off on your watering - the soil needs to get almost dry (almost, not bone dry) between waterings. Of course, if the leaves droop, water them.

Also, scrape off the upper surface of the soil and lightly mist it with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to kill off any fungus that remains.

geeme said:
I would recommend going to 1/10th - they don't need much at all at this point. 

That aside, it seems you have another issue - the soil seems very wet. You see the brown shade on the perlite? That should be nearly white. The brown is a common sign that fungus has started growing, due to excessive moisture. If you don't already have a fan on them, get one. Also, back off on your watering - the soil needs to get almost dry (almost, not bone dry) between waterings. Of course, if the leaves droop, water them.

Also, scrape off the upper surface of the soil and lightly mist it with a mix of hydrogen peroxide and water to kill off any fungus that remains.

The soil is dry. The brown color is from the water, i use a litle humus in the water so its only color from that. The humus is helping the plants to use the nutrient in the soil. I do have fan and they have got very litle water.

Not hummus but humus. humus is something in the top layer in the soil. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humus

pwb said:
Not hummus but humus. humus is something in the top layer in the soil. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humus
Agreed... in my first home-made hydroponics experiments, i had pH problems bad enough to drive me batty, and nutrient lock bad enough to kill half my seedlings.
Humic acids (for example, tannic acid) have a lower solubility in lower pH solutions, and much higher solubility in alkaline solutions, thus stabilizing pH -- in my case, between 6.0 and 7.0. That's still a pretty bad pH fluctuation, but my pH had previously exceeded 8.0 before i commenced steeping sphagnum in my nutrient solution to provide humic acids.
They also act as a chelating agent, thus 'unlocking' (re-dissolving) nutrients that are locked (precipitated out of solution).
I seem to recall reading that they also function as a carbon source for some forms of microbial fermentation, thus benefitting beneficial soil microbes.
Nicely done!

Pwb is playing it smart here, and his command of the English language is way better than my ability to speak Norsk, but let's not confuse things here -- i may be the first to get confused, and that gives me a headache!

Reactions: pwb
I started to use something from biobact last summer and the plants then seems they did like it. So since i had sterilized my soil for my new plants this season (in my oven for some hours) i have used a little bit in the water to get some life back to the soil. It looks like the young plants like it. But i will try with a litle nutrients at next watering.

This is the biobact.
"Biobact Tomato is an organic fertilizer that is approved for organic farming. Nutrients are especially suited to vegetables, such as tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. The unique composition of humus and active microorganisms gives a vibrant and healthy soil. The humus improves soil quality and microorganisms transform organic matter into nutrients which means healthier plants with abundant flowering and harvesting. Biobact produced by a biological process of residues from the paper industry and is thus a natural part of the cycle"

Is the spot purple? For a plant that young going from tubes to led, I don't think you have a deficiency. Especially if your soil is dialed in.

To me it looks like the plant is purpling up as a response to the increase in usable light intensity; it's producing anthocyanin as a natural sunscreen. This is not bad and it will sort itself out. Light burn is more a bleaching of the leaves.

The plant may raise its leaves like it's praying to the heavens bc you gave it extra red and blue which is what it uses most of. I would stick it back under and keep watching, especially at 15in with a 120w.

filmost said:
Is the spot purple? For a plant that young going from tubes to led, I don't think you have a deficiency. Especially if your soil is dialed in. To me it looks like the plant is purpling up as a response to the increase in usable light intensity; it's producing anthocyanin as a natural sunscreen. This is not bad and it will sort itself out. Light burn is more a bleaching of the leaves. The plant may raise its leaves like it's praying to the heavens bc you gave it extra red and blue which is what it uses most of. I would stick it back under and keep watching, especially at 15in with a 120w.

YES, its dark purple and the leaves did raise. I have changed the LED lamp to one that dont have the same type of lens so the light isnt so strong/focused and now it looks ok. I will have them under there for some time and then go back to the stronger LED lamp.

Back