• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your PERSONAL fert' routine

Hi there,

just curious ...

What is your personal fertilizing routine, over the whole lifespan of a pepper plant ...

- are you laid back (just dump rabbit sh!t on it every couple of weeks)
- or are you more the scientific guy (starting out with 2-1-3 then moving over to 1-2-3)
- how soon are you starting, etc...

this post is not necesarily about the *right* or *best* way, just curious what YOU do and how its working out for YOU.

cheers
Al

As soon as I get 1 set of true leaves, I start giving DynaGro Grow Forumla (7-9-5) (1/4 tsp per 1 of gallon water) every watering. I do that for the entire season.

I take all my trimmings, pullings and other yard debris to the composting area. Every night my wife takes all the food scraps except meat to the area. About two or three times a year I take seven 55gal. drums in my one-ton van to a manure pile by the dairy farms and then dump them in the composting area. A little over 20 years ago I designed and built a chipper-shredder. I put all of the materials through it. Some of the compost I till into the soil. Some I put in my raised beds and some I use as mulch. I use a colander to sift compost from my raised beds to use as seed starting medium. I pot up to a mixture of sifted compost and sifted soil. When I get around to it I transplant to the garden and put compost around them as mulch. Water and pick.
chipa.jpg

I like to get 2-3 truck loads of fully composted horse manure in early feb and add it into my garden. i use the rototiller to mix it in about 6 weeks before anything is planted. once the plants are in the ground and doing well i will add plant-tone every other month at the base of the plants

AAC-Tea...

One time a week maybe 2 during production.

I have 10% Worm castings in my soil before I plant, and I dust the roots with myco when transplanting.

I am looking in to adding Rock-dust for more micro nutrients.

@Helltaco I am sooo jelly. I want a chipper like that.

Concentration (ppm) Fertilizer SourceMacronutrients
NO3-N 190 Calcium Nitrate
NH4-N 18 Calcium Nitrate/Ammonium Nitrate
P 40 Monopotassium Phosphate
K 340 Monopotassium Phosphate/Potassium Sulfate
Ca 170 Calcium Nitrate
Mg 50 Magnesium Sulfate
SO4 360 Potassium Sulfate/Magnesium Sulfate
+ peters STEM

full blast 2ec. from first sign of true leaves until they get chopped and tossed.

I use a seaweed fish fert diluted 3 tbl spoons per gallon to sprout.
Then once I get true leaves I change to 3 tbl spoon per gallon of fox farm grow liquid. Top off once a week.
Once in the ground I add some Azos and Mykos from Xtreme gardening to the transplant hole.
Then about once I week I foliar spray a weak seaweed fish fert. Once they fruit I dont foliar feed anymore.

here's my plan (no past experience to draw from)

- potting up with 2 sets of true leaves into a 33% vermicompost / 33% perlite / 33% peat moss mix
- do some kind of diy air-pot thingy
-
Cod601-cesto-de-ropa-crema.jpg

- and then use AACT / kelp solution (would this be enough in terms fertilization for pepperplants?????

thx,
Al

here's my plan (no past experience to draw from)

- potting up with 2 sets of true leaves into a 33% vermicompost / 33% perlite / 33% peat moss mix
- do some kind of diy air-pot thingy
-
Cod601-cesto-de-ropa-crema.jpg

- and then use AACT / kelp solution (would this be enough in terms fertilization for pepperplants?????

thx,
Al

Nice. You should maybe look in to dropping the the worm castings to 20% and the remaining 13% be LOCAL humas from some old growth forest.

I dont know if you have seen the diaper thread yet, but I am testing the repurosed hydrogel in a fresh pot up and so far it is looks Superb!

About 1 diaper worth of wet hydrogel in to about 5gal of dirt.

My recipe this year.

The medium= Promix-HP with worm castings and mushroom compost.

The ferts:=1/2 cup each of crushed crab shell powder, dried kelp meal and cotton seed meal.

Mykos to the transplant.

Alternate with AACT and Neptunes Harvest Fish/Kelp emulsion for watering.

My wife and I just bought the kiddos some chickens so I cant wait for the poo to use as compost. My plan is to get to the point where I dont have to purchase any amendments and just have really rich organic soil.

My recipe this year.

The medium= Promix-HP with worm castings and mushroom compost.

The ferts:=1/2 cup each of crushed crab shell powder, dried kelp meal and cotton seed meal.

Mykos to the transplant.

Alternate with AACT and Neptunes Harvest Fish/Kelp emulsion for watering.

My wife and I just bought the kiddos some chickens so I cant wait for the poo to use as compost. My plan is to get to the point where I dont have to purchase any amendments and just have really rich organic soil.

Self sustaining gardening... That's what i am talking about!!!

So my plan was to MG every 10 to 14 days when everything was in buckets, but I recently have been having weird leaf issues with my guys. Should I have been ferting a lot sooner? I hit them up for the first time this week, other than the Jobe's I added to the soil when I mixed it.

Nice. You should maybe look in to dropping the the worm castings to 20% and the remaining 13% be LOCAL humas from some old growth forest.

I dont know if you have seen the diaper thread yet, but I am testing the repurosed hydrogel in a fresh pot up and so far it is looks Superb!

About 1 diaper worth of wet hydrogel in to about 5gal of dirt.

understood ... I will be adding organically rich earth ...

and of course I am aware of the diaper thread (i am the OP :-) ...

the hydrogel I used for forensics - got sloshier in the sun (i would have guessed it would dry out or so ... but it might be the urine in it, I recall have seen a YT video, where those polymers have a hard time trapping saline water).

I will sacrifice a fresh diaper tomorrow and see how the polymers hold up with fresh water ... I hope they are more stable ...

keep us posted on your diaper-up-pot ;-)

cheers
al

ohhh ... btw ... a MOST interesting thread concerning air-pots and air-pruning right over at our neighbours :shh:

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-room-design-setup/303229-diy-air-pruning-pot-experiment.html

excellent reading !

understood ... I will be adding organically rich earth ...

and of course I am aware of the diaper thread (i am the OP :-) ...

the hydrogel I used for forensics - got sloshier in the sun (i would have guessed it would dry out or so ... but it might be the urine in it, I recall have seen a YT video, where those polymers have a hard time trapping saline water).

I will sacrifice a fresh diaper tomorrow and see how the polymers hold up with fresh water ... I hope they are more stable ...

keep us posted on your diaper-up-pot ;-)

cheers
al

ohhh ... btw ... a MOST interesting thread concerning air-pots and air-pruning right over at our neighbours :shh:

http://www.rollitup....experiment.html

excellent reading !

In a few days I'll take some pictures, its too soon to say the plant looks good because of the hydrogel. But it is looking good and its 3 days in.

Aerogarden sprouting---5 ml ea of general hydro, Micro, Grow, and Bloom per gallon.
3.5 pots---10 ml ea every other watering, allowing to droop a bit first.

Outside--in dirt---prepped last fall with chicken and horse "stuff", old lawn clippings and leaves, a bag of peat and a bag of vermiculite.

It gets nothing else while in the ground.

Outside--in dirt---prepped last fall with chicken and horse "stuff", old lawn clippings and leaves, a bag of peat and a bag of vermiculite.

It gets nothing else while in the ground.

what exactly do you do with chicken manure? ... I have some chickens, but I am unsure in which way to "process" the droppings ...

cheers
al

Back