• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Your PERSONAL fert' routine

what exactly do you do with chicken manure? ... I have some chickens, but I am unsure in which way to "process" the droppings ...

cheers
al

my grandmother used to grow tomatos. In order to speed up the process, she used to bury all the manure (chicken, horse, rabbit, goat) along with a big quantity of limestone.

I don't remember how fast the manure was ready to use, but it was a very quick process.

EDIT: BTW, i wish someone could make a sticky post on how to make your own fertiliser, (tips, photos, videos, materials)

Ok, if you google it you can find a lot of stuff, but it would be nice to have evrything regarding peppers in one place.

Bought mine aged in a bag, but you can collect your own and till it in the ground in the fall.
It's too "hot" to use fresh, as are all droppings of assorted animals.
Horse and steer really needs to age in open air for a year before tilling it in to give time for the volatiles to off gas.
Poor quality desert dirt here, so I can get away with adding a lot of material to it, and doing the tilling in the fall after harvest and addition of selected elements gives it the late fall, winter, and early spring to mellow and allows the worms undisturbed buffet time to process the more "organic" bits.

what exactly do you do with chicken manure? ... I have some chickens, but I am unsure in which way to "process" the droppings ...

If I come across chicken manure while we're out on "cow poop n' donuts" it rides up front. Chickens don't piss, so their manure is "hot" meaning it is very high in nitrogen. Talk about a compost starter, stand back! I would love to have a free source of chicken manure. I mix it into a compost pile and let it rot. It's too hot to put fresh straight on your plants. You could till it into the dirt and wait a while before planting, but I'll repeat myself, it's great in compost.

In previous years, I have used almost exclusively worm tea in combination with well-amended soil and the occasional sprinkle of miracle grow for micro nutrients.

This year, when the peppers were approximately 4 weeks old, I gave them a weak dose of miracle grow, along with a top dressing of worm castings and foliar fed liquid seaweed.
From this point on to crowning, the plants receive a light dose of fish emulsion with approximately every third watering, until mid june or so.

At about 8 weeks, I fed the plants with a silica rich fertilizer, which imparted a very sturdy nature in the plants.

I have selected the best specimens of each of my "most anticipated" varieties to transplant early into 2 quart pots of "premium soil." This soil is composed of foxfarm ocean forrest, foxfarm happy frog, roots organic original mix, and my own special "super-soil" mix which undergoes self-pasteurization (promix bx amended with beneficial bacteria, mycorrhizae, azomite, gypsum, coco choir, perlite, worm castings, compost, bee pollen, fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, cottonseed meal, kelp meal, super-thrive, and molasses.)

Once it becomes warm enough for the plants to stay outside permanently, I will be transplanting the peppers into raised beds amended with home-made compost, field-aged from horse/cow manure, and home-made worm castings, as well as gypsum, hydrated lime, dolomite, azomite, cottonseed meal, and kelp meal.

When the plants begin to flower I will give them compost/wormtea and a medium strength dose of potash and epsom salt. They will receive this same regimen during each 'wave' of ripening peppers until the end of the season.

In previous years, I have used almost exclusively worm tea in combination with well-amended soil and the occasional sprinkle of miracle grow for micro nutrients.

This year, when the peppers were approximately 4 weeks old, I gave them a weak dose of miracle grow, along with a top dressing of worm castings and foliar fed liquid seaweed.
From this point on to crowning, the plants receive a light dose of fish emulsion with approximately every third watering, until mid june or so.

At about 8 weeks, I fed the plants with a silica rich fertilizer, which imparted a very sturdy nature in the plants.

I have selected the best specimens of each of my "most anticipated" varieties to transplant early into 2 quart pots of "premium soil." This soil is composed of foxfarm ocean forrest, foxfarm happy frog, roots organic original mix, and my own special "super-soil" mix which undergoes self-pasteurization (promix bx amended with beneficial bacteria, mycorrhizae, azomite, gypsum, coco choir, perlite, worm castings, compost, bee pollen, fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, cottonseed meal, kelp meal, super-thrive, and molasses.)

Once it becomes warm enough for the plants to stay outside permanently, I will be transplanting the peppers into raised beds amended with home-made compost, field-aged from horse/cow manure, and home-made worm castings, as well as gypsum, hydrated lime, dolomite, azomite, cottonseed meal, and kelp meal.

When the plants begin to flower I will give them compost/wormtea and a medium strength dose of potash and epsom salt. They will receive this same regimen during each 'wave' of ripening peppers until the end of the season.

Your "super soil" looks familiar. :high:

I am using Nutriforte tomato and strawberry fertilizer+Nutriforte nitrogen and calsium. I mix them together using the instructions on the package, then mix it with water and water the plants with it, it's quick and easy and the chilis sure like it.

Back