• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

your potting mix recipe

hello everyone.  I would like to hear what your potting mix recipe is and im sure theres a lot of other newbie growers out there that would like to know too.  this is my first year growing peppers and im very excited about it.  I recently went through a bag of happy frog and while I do like it it is just way too expensive for me to use to pot up all my plants as they grow.  I bought a bail of promix bx and am gonna use that as a part of my mix.  what do you all put in yours and how much?  thanks for the help in advance from me and the other people that will benefit.

1 bail of promix
150 liters of perlite
1 cup calcium peroxide
1 cup pyrophyllitic clay
20 liter bag of worm casting

okay.  thanks for the input.  I think I have all my stuff.  heres everything I have.  I may have went a little overboard, haha.  im just not exactly sure how much of what to use.  any ideas?  thanks in advance.

Pro-mix BX  (base)

perlite
Kelp meal
Great White Myco
fish bone meal
crab shell meal
earthworm castings
azomite
10-1-1 bat guano
0-10-0 bat guano
12-11-2 peruvian seabird guano

I tend to overdo things simetimes.  as I always say, go big or go home, haha.  it was one of those things where I told myself id "just get one more".  by themselves they all offer a lot.  looking at them together and how to utilize them all makes me second guess myself.  Id like to have a lot of nutrients in the mix so I wouldnt need to fertilize often and at the same time I dont want it to be too hot and harm the plants.  Its tempting to just throw some of it all together but Id really like to follow a formula so all the batches I make can be consistent and not vary between batches. 

If you use all organic products and allow the soil mix to cook for at least 30 days it will be fine. Instead of the Guanos I would have just bought Alfalfa but that's OK.

Back