• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Your strategy in the early autumn

What is your strategy here in early autumn? When temperatures reach the average of 18 degrees celsius and maybe 10 at night.
Do you harvest before this? This is my first season with a big production of peppers. As I recall, last year they where still growing modestly in september, Hungary.

I have Cayenne, Tabasco and other hot peppers.

All best from Budapest,

Daniel

I harvest when pods are visibly ripe. Am in Denmark, so it is a wee bit colder than where you are.
No particular tricks with this strategy.

By the way: Several websites mention that Aji cristal pods taste better when not quite ripe. I cannot in any way say I agree. Someone out there having an opinion based on taste and experience rather just website info?

I harvest when pods are visibly ripe. Am in Denmark, so it is a wee bit colder than where you are.
No particular tricks with this strategy.

By the way: Several websites mention that Aji cristal pods taste better when not quite ripe. I cannot in any way say I agree. Someone out there having an opinion based on taste and experience rather just website info?
I'm actually danish - from Odense :-)
My question is more .... does flowering continue at mentioned degrees? Does the vegetable phase just break down? Or work at a slow pace? Ripening on existing fruits continues despite lower temperatures?

I'm not sure about flowering, but ripening continues for a while. I pick all the ripe ones pretty clear regularly. At the end of season I just keep picking off the ripe ones until the plants die, typically from first frost.

I’m no expert but from my experience the annums will continue flowering and setting fruit all the way down to 5-6c. Fruit on the vine will continue to ripen, - for the chinense they’re more sensitive and probably can’t set fruit under 10c but fruit which has already set will continue to ripen on the vine. Plants will get pretty beat up as highs get down closer to 11-12 range.

I’m North East of you and usually everything is good until mid/late November (weather permitting). I’ve got habaneros & Jalapeños in raised beds outside with reapers & scorpions in a polytunnel.

Reactions: BDP
Back