food Your Turn!

The G Challenge

Some people expressed some confusion about The G Challenge, so here are the basics:

What do we want YOU to do?

Recreate the dishes prepared by four THP "chefs", then vote on your favorite. Each has prepared an appetizer and entrée. You may prepare all four in their entirety, or if your schedule is limited, prepare just the entrées or just the appetizers.

Do I have to make these all at once?

No! You have three weekends across two weeks to prepare your recreations and decide which is the best. If you haven't begun already, you may start now, and spread out your cooking through October 28.

Do I have to make the dishes exactly how the "chefs" made them?

We ask that you try to stick as closely to the posted recipes as possible, but we also recognize the ingredients may not be available in all areas. Consider asking the chefs for recommended alternate ingredients for items you can't find. Primarily, though, we ask that you try to keep the same seasonings, as seasoning is one aspect of this challenge.

What is The G Challenge About?

This is a cook-off between 4 THP chefs, but with a bonus: Unlike the Throwdowns, where you vote with only your eyes, you have a chance with The G Challenge to actually prepare and try the dishes before you vote. Who is the best? You decide!

When and where can I vote?

A poll will be added to this thread closer to the end of the month.

Where are the dishes?

SumOfMyBits Appetizer

SumOfMyBits Entree

Deathtosnails final pics

Deathtosnails Recipes

frydad4 Recipes

JayT Appetizer

JayT Entree

We really hope you join in. I've prepared a couple of these already, and can tell you they are EXCELLENT!

I've got FD's pork recipe in the slow cooker; the appetizer will be made later today. I made SumOfMyBits' appetizer, scallop ceviche, and entree, stuffed grape leaves with tzatziki sauce, a couple weekends ago. Here are pics of my recreation of those:

P1010261.JPG

Closeup of the stuffed grape leaves:
P1010262.JPG

I am going to refrain from commenting on the dishes until I have recreated all of them.

Going to try to make all entries before the end of the month, see how i go.

First up is Sums ceviche, now i have never made nor eaten any type of ceviche before, should be interesting.

Just letting it marinate now

Attachments

• SDC11593.JPG
    SDC11593.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 80
  • SDC11594.JPG
    SDC11594.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 77
You will probably like it better with fresh pods rather than pickled, but I understand pickled is now Sum made it. Give it a go another time with fresh, since you haven't tried it before. Also, I tend to make mine with a larger portion of seafood. Good both ways, IMO, just different.

Just finished devouring my Sums ceviche, not bad at all, very tasty and unique flavours.

Fresh pods probably would have been better, but trying to find any decent peppers at the local shops is hard. If available, the choice is Jalapenos, Thai Chilli or Birds eye chilli, if any at all

Attachments

• SDC11596.JPG
    SDC11596.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 72
  • SDC11598.JPG
    SDC11598.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 70
And here is my recreation of FD's:

P1010325.JPG

Looks great g. Hope you enjoyed it.
I modeled the sauce after a place called "the pig" in Jacksonville, fl.
Dirty dirty hole in the wall questionable neighborhood BBQ.
It's great on ribs and chicken.

And those pecans are a staple around here.

Nice job!

Yesterday got rearranged for me, so I'm starting DTS's appetizer dough now. This should be interesting....

EDIT: And it is. I haven't worked with a dough quite like this before. I'm curious to see it's consistency after the proofing, as well as it's texture after baking. I ended up using most of a 170ml container of Greek yogurt, just didn't scrape down the sides very well, and that seemed about right.

So yeah....... probably part of what made the dough interesting is that I messed up a bit. Turned out I used all-purpose flour instead of bread flour. Had to slap myself a tad because I even made the point to ensure I had enough bread flour before I went to the store. It was still good, just came out with a different consistency. Still ..... DOH!

Frydads Nuts, very Tasty

Attachments

• SDC11623.JPG
    SDC11623.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 84
  • SDC11624.JPG
    SDC11624.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 76
  • SDC11627.JPG
    SDC11627.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 83
Booma, when I went to make DTS's appetizer, I noticed in the plate-up post he said the grapes and olives were marinated. However, he didn't say anything about a marinade in the recipe post. I'm going to PM and get his input, then will post it here. I ended up chopping up the grapes and olives and put them in a touch of olive juice with garlic, more of the chopped fresh oregano, and some cayenne.

DTS responded - the olives were in a marinade at the grocer's; he didn't marinade the grapes. The other thing I did was sautêe the grapes and olives briefly to get them warm, as they had been in the fridge. Your call as to which direction to take it!

Back