• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Yucatan White Habanero Germination

Anyone have any experience with Yucatan White Habaneros? After 12 days of Germination - all my various seeds have sprouted - all but my Yucatan Whites... not one of the 18 seeds have germinated? Anyone have an idea if these take longer than others? I'm not giving up on them just trying to figure it out.

Thanks,
Gerry

Anyone have any experience with Yucatan White Habaneros? After 12 days of Germination - all my various seeds have sprouted - all but my Yucatan Whites... not one of the 18 seeds have germinated? Anyone have an idea if these take longer than others? I'm not giving up on them just trying to figure it out.

Thanks,
Gerry

There's another thread on the topic of Yucatan White Habanero Germination that may be of interest to you. The jelly bean sized (up to 2 cm long) variety I grew in a past season took around 16 days to sprout.

Where did you get your Yucatan White seeds from?

I'm growing this variety also but it already sprouted here after 6 days, 1 out of 2 germinated. It has an really tiny pod, it's barely an inch big :) Still need too re-pot it also.

IMAG0470-1.jpg

I never had any problems with my Peruvian White seeds, and I'm assuming they wouldn't be any different in terms of germination. Looking at the other thread, admittedly there is an issue with telling when the pepper is fully ripe; in the afternoon sun, telling the difference between light green and white can be kind of difficult... so depending on your seed source, the pods may have just been harvested too early which would hurt the germination rates.

Nice pic meatfreak. I started some Peruvian White seeds in December and the plants are ridiculously compact compared to the Yucatan, it seems... the plants are only five inches tall and loaded with buds.

I grew a Peruvian White Hab last year on Hydro DWC and the thing grew to 3-4 feet and had tons of small pods. Only problem was that the cold came and they didnt get to fully ripen, I wanted to keep the plant so I pulled it and had to trim the roots, but the shock must have gotten to it as it seemed it was going to make it and then it just died. Man I was hurt as I have had many attempts trying to grow out one of these. I had one going good, went on vacation and it dried out, I had two seedlings and they turned yellow then brown and died. I do have one that just sprouted so I hope I can finally get this one to ripe pods. The idea of hot white chili powder is just crazy.

I actually don't know what kind of White Hab I have, I'm assuming it's the Peruvian White though. Of my two overwinters, one had a more elongated typical Hab-ish appearance, the other looked like rounded, slightly elongate berries. Both ripened to creamy white. I have a feeling they would have gotten bigger if I pot them in larger pots...

I never had any problems with my Peruvian White seeds, and I'm assuming they wouldn't be any different in terms of germination. Looking at the other thread, admittedly there is an issue with telling when the pepper is fully ripe; in the afternoon sun, telling the difference between light green and white can be kind of difficult... so depending on your seed source, the pods may have just been harvested too early which would hurt the germination rates.

Nice pic meatfreak. I started some Peruvian White seeds in December and the plants are ridiculously compact compared to the Yucatan, it seems... the plants are only five inches tall and loaded with buds.

I'm not sure which ones I got but I suspect they are Peruvian whites. Pepperlover threw some free ones in my order labeled "white habaneros." I'll have to ask her which ones they are. They gave me 100% germination which I didn't expect! I've read that the Yuatan whites had issues germinating so I ended up with more plants than I expected, lol. Do your Peruvian whites grow super fast and have huge leaves?

Mine are Yucatan Whites, put 16 seeds in soil to germinate 17 days ago ... still no sign of sprouts.

Thankfully the White Habs aren't as difficult to find as they make 'em out to be, so if yours turn out to be duds I'd just try another batch (I'm fresh out of pods or I'd just send you some of mine, though they are different than what you have). Or just try another batch anyway for the hell of it. You're in Texas, you can probably get away with a later start...

I'm not sure which ones I got but I suspect they are Peruvian whites. Pepperlover threw some free ones in my order labeled "white habaneros." I'll have to ask her which ones they are. They gave me 100% germination which I didn't expect! I've read that the Yuatan whites had issues germinating so I ended up with more plants than I expected, lol. Do your Peruvian whites grow super fast and have huge leaves?

Not at all... mine have small leaves and are very compact with a sprawling habit. Come to think of it, they were sold to me as White Lightning Habaneros. I think this is also wrong, as the rainbow chili seeds description says 2 inch pods... mine barely reach 1 inch most of the time.

Flowers and young pods:
IMGP2167.jpg

Seedling putting out buds and fruit:
IMGP3051.jpg

One of my plants from last year:
IMGP1254.jpg

Ripe fruit in the lower left:
IMGP1516.jpg

Still a very nice strain, whatever it is. They seem to top out at about 2 feet.

Huh, are those pics all of the same plant? Mine are still young so I don't know all of their growing habits yet. So far they are compact with large leaves. Maybe they will sprawl as they mature like yours did.

First and third pics are from last season's plants, now overwinters, second pic is from a seedling this year. I don't have a pic of the other overwinter from last year, but it formed a more rounded bush shape and the pods were different. They're the smaller and more rounded ones in the last photo. Who knows what they are really, I got them from Hirt's. Almost everything I got from Hirt's last year still has a big question mark on it.

They look like different varieties. Maybe they got crossed?

Here is what mine look like. They are about a month old (started germinating the seeds on Feb. 15th). I'm hardening them off. I have two in there. I'd transplant them but gonna wait until they harden off. Then I'm going to put them in the ground.

7007629465_bea7db6911_z.jpg

Edit: found out they are Peruvian whites.

Seed Count for today that have sprouted:

Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah = 11
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrockpot = 14
Trinidad 7 Pot = 9
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T = 12
Sun Rise Scorpion = 16
Moruga Scorpion = 6
Bhut Jolokia = 10
Jamaican Chocolate Habanero = 10
Yucatan White Habanero = 0

Total of 88
That's 88 out 144 ... or 61% germination . I got all my seeds from one place and I'm happy with the results. I am going to email him to find out more about the seeds.

Even here in Europe people have serious issues with White Haba germination, and the seeds are from various sources.
My guess is that this variety is still quite "wild" and may require specific germination conditions, that in some cases may be even very low pH of the material you are germinating in, that may reduce the amount of natural germination inhibitors in the seed.

Seed Count for today that have sprouted:

Trinidad 7 Pot Jonah = 11
Trinidad 7 Pot Barrockpot = 14
Trinidad 7 Pot = 9
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T = 12
Sun Rise Scorpion = 16
Moruga Scorpion = 6
Bhut Jolokia = 10
Jamaican Chocolate Habanero = 10
Yucatan White Habanero = 0

Total of 88
That's 88 out 144 ... or 61% germination . I got all my seeds from one place and I'm happy with the results. I am going to email him to find out more about the seeds.

The photos on the web site of your supplier appear to be that of the variety that produces small ~2 cm long pods. The listing though does not mention the typical size of the pods. Do you have any idea how big the pods should be?

Back