• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Zapotec Jalapenos

I just read through this and think I need to add Zapotec to next years grow.  I grew Biker Billys this year and loved them because they were hotter than regular jalas.  I made 10 jars of jelly with the rest of what I had last night.  Can anybody tell me a reliable vendor to get some Zapo seeds?

m1hagen said:
I just read through this and think I need to add Zapotec to next years grow.  I grew Biker Billys this year and loved them because they were hotter than regular jalas.  I made 10 jars of jelly with the rest of what I had last night.  Can anybody tell me a reliable vendor to get some Zapo seeds?

Member reviews of vendors posted here.> Vendor Vault  Top right of page put zapotec in the search box and see if you get any hits.

Keep us updated, we'll try and help if you're drawing a blank.

Mine and Lewis's Zapotec seeds came from RFC. I had great germination but they were temperamental for a little while after going outside. Our spring and early summer kinda sucked. Too cool and too wet. Probably do just fine otherwise.

So next year its back to 3 kinds again. Got to try Orange Spice just for grins too but got to have the Zaps for ripe jalapeno sauce. None i have tried yet are close to that hot ripe and i love jalapeno hot sauce :P

Thanks sauce, I ordered from RFC just now.  I'm gonna try the Numex lemon spice, Biker Billy, and Zapotec next year.  I'll have to try and talk you into sharing your jala sauce recipe cause I love that stuff too :dance:

Biker Billy have a really good flavor. Probably one of the best ive had. They just produced poorly for me. Others had great luck with them. Main thing with Biker Billy is i dont trust using seeds from harvested pods. Getting them as seedlings here is a pain. Really hard to find locally.

I got my biker billy seeds from Trentl and started them in January this year.  The taste was great but I need to plant a couple more plants this coming season.

Using saved Biker Billy seeds is a crap shoot. No telling what you are going to get. Ive seen nothing that indicates its a stabilized cross. Everything i can dig up appears that it likely is not stable. Buying seeds/seedlings directly from Burpee is the only "sure bet".

That was a big part of the reason i looked into Zapotec. Its a landrace and should grow pretty true from year to year. NuMex "spice" varieties have been around for many years and are presumed to be stable. So i got suckered into trying them too. :D Orange Spice is supposed to be the hottest.

Zapotec impressed the hell out of me with not just heat but constant heat. It was like every single pod was nearly identical. They could be a bit sweeter ripe but otherwise its a rocking jalapeno.

Hey everyone who follows this thread...

I'm doing my seed inventory for my 2020 starts and i can't find my stash of Zapotec seeds. I got like 15 left from Gary Windchicken from a few years back, but i can't find my fat sack of seeds i saved from 2018. I didn't save any from 2019 bc i thought i had a bunch of 2018 seeds, but i guess i have those away or misplaced them or some such nonsense...

So, in trying to grow 17 Zapotecs on 2020. I was going to germinate 25 or so, and I'm about 10 seeds short. Can anyone help me out? I'm happy to pay via PayPal and/ or trade or whatever... Just send me a PM if you're willing to help out. Thanks in advance.

Bicycle808 said:
Hey everyone who follows this thread...

I'm doing my seed inventory for my 2020 starts and i can't find my stash of Zapotec seeds. I got like 15 left from Gary Windchicken from a few years back, but i can't find my fat sack of seeds i saved from 2018. I didn't save any from 2019 bc i thought i had a bunch of 2018 seeds, but i guess i have those away or misplaced them or some such nonsense...

So, in trying to grow 17 Zapotecs on 2020. I was going to germinate 25 or so, and I'm about 10 seeds short. Can anyone help me out? I'm happy to pay via PayPal and/ or trade or whatever... Just send me a PM if you're willing to help out. Thanks in advance.

Hey Bikeman.  I have isolated zapotec ripening on the plant right now from your 2018 seeds you sent me.  I'd be happy to send you back a pack if you can wait a couple weeks until they're dry and ready to send.  They're finishing up inside.

CaneDog said:

Hey Bikeman.  I have isolated zapotec ripening on the plant right now from your 2018 seeds you sent me.  I'd be happy to send you back a pack if you can wait a couple weeks until they're dry and ready to send.  They're finishing up inside.
That would be amazing,CD!! I can wait, no problem, in not starting annuums until February!

Thanks so much; you're saving my grow. I didn't wanna end up growing Earlies in 2020 lol

b3rnd said:
Anybody want to trade for some Zapotec seeds? It seems this is a must-have Jal.
They are truly outstanding. I'd help you out, but I'm on the beggars' side of things, this year.

I thought i had a fat sack of Zap seeds somewhere, but i guess i either have it away or just lost it...

Back