zero heat

I'm looking for something to grow for my 3 year old this season. He loves gardening with me and likes peppers a lot. Lol.. Its actually kinda funny cause he had jimmy nardello the last 2 seasons and would walk around the yard chowing down. I also buy him sweet peppers from the store and he loves them for snacks. Problem is I really don't know what to grow for him as tastes are way different.

Anyway I'm open to suggestions and looking to trade but they have to be zero heat and preferably good flavor!

Thanks guys

What about the corno di toro. Big fleshy pepper with a nice taste and the only pepper my wife has ever eaten raw with ranch dressing. She said that's the only pepper she wants for her in next years garden.

Give these a look:
http://pepperlover.com/pepper-seeds/heal-leve/sweet-mild/results,1-60?filter_product=
Of the lot, I've tried only the Trinidad Perfume, but agree that it's got a fine haba-like flavor with zero heat.

I've got some "Hatch Mild" (really some variety of Aneheim, AFAIK) seeds from pods purchased locally.  The fruit is really flavorful and has just about zero heat. 

Shoot me a SASE if you like.

I think I can also spare a few seeds from several other mild (not zero heat) SW varieties.  Most of these are heat-free at the base, but may become warm as you nibble your way up the pod.

My girls love Jimmy Nardellos. My little one started snacking on them off the vine at age 3. Also, gypsy and cubanelle. Lots of others ... But those 3 come to mind.

Thanks guys! You are all such a great help! I appreciate the generosity and I'm sure he will also! It's going to be a great season and I couldn't do it without people like you!

Mike

Yep, some are mentioned before but;

Numex Suave
Jalapeño TAM
Aji Dulce
Aji Criolla Sella

Sweet varieties like;

Sigaretta di Bergamo (looks like a chili though)
Marconi red
Nocera Rosso
Corno di Toro Rosso

Etc etc

And I'm not sure how much space you have and what you like to eat. But great things to grow are bean like french beans, kousenband, sweet peas and runner beans. They grow like crazy and are healthy - and it's very hard to do something wrong with them. It also doesn't really matter if your kid breaks some branches while picking fruits.

Also fun if you have the space; pumpkins. They grow like crazy and you can have some more quality time with you kid when carving them out for halloween.

To bad you live in the US, else I would be happy to send over some fun varieties.

Cayenne can have zero heat if picked green, then you can enjoy them once they turn red.

SR.

Cayenne have zero heat when picked green? Uhm, I wouldn't trust to much on that. Yes, certainly if picked very young, but older ones that have a mature size can pack serious heat already.

Don't give the kid trust issues with his old man.. haha.

chilli whisperer said:
Well they taste sweet to me,and they don't have any burn as far as I remember,cuz I ate a crap load of them last season as they are my favourite
the lower outside of the crowns have little to know heat but the center with the placenta have heat. I grew 4 plants this year and still have some ripening as we speak.

Yea,but either way,it is a great pepper,with no heat realy,but if it has its not much cuz I didn't feel any. Its a hardy plant too and they grow quite tall

Generally speaking, the bishops crown is a hot pepper that can exhibit like most other hot peppers, Duds.
But I would never suggest pods from it being given to a child who was expecting a sweet pepper, even from a plant that was known to put out a lot of duds.

Back