event ZestFest 2011 Review and Thoughts

Silver Leaf Ghost Pepper Salsa...this is my pick of the show for salsas...great tasting, pretty warm, smoky salsa...definitely a keeper in my opinion...enough for me to buy 3 jars...
I agree, these are very tasty. Smoky, hot, and garlicy. I've gone through two bottles so far. Whole Foods Markets are selling these (check the silver leaf website). I believe the company is in Stafford, TX, right by me in Sugar Land.

Well I for one am looking for a little insight into the party afterward. Specifically, did you and AJ throw some back together?
Party afterward? My God man, do you think people in the industry DRINK??? Perish the thought! Oh yeah, AJ and I shared the booth cooler a few times during the weekend.

Thanks, everyone for the pics.

Winners List-
http://zestfest2011.com/fiery-food-challenge/fiery-food-challenge-winners

Congratulations Defcon and Salsalady! Also, congrats to any other THP members who I did not recognize. As I was going through all the winners, I kept wondering how Texas Creek products would do at ZestFest. Then...Surprise! Ghost Fire Hot Sauce got 3rd place. Very very cool.

Breaking rules here...here's my full report on ZestFest:
http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/2011-ZestFest-Diary

Defcon Creator's is coming tomorrow! It's entertaining as always! :cheers:

Thanks, chiliaddict,

Two others I recognized are- RaceCitySauceWorks received several awards and at least one first place that I remember, and Stage Coach Sauces also placed. Congrats to them also, as well as Defcon!

looked like a great time. congratulations to everyone that entered and to everyone that was recognized. don't want to miss anyone so i'll just say "congratulations and nicely done" to everyone on the forum that participated.

Looks like the powers that be deleted my link to the Creator's ZF report. Just click on my blog link in my signature. It's supremely entertaining! :)

Looks like the powers that be deleted my link to the Creator's ZF report. Just click on my blog link in my signature. It's supremely entertaining! :)

I read it a few days ago. It is very well done and extremely informative. You are a true chile aficionado. I'm a fan and have it bookmarked.

Had a chance to read Defcon's review of his Zest Fest experience.

Found it to be humorous, informative and insightful.

Thanks for making us aware of his thoughts.

dvg

Had a chance to read Defcon's review of his Zest Fest experience.

Found it to be humorous, informative and insightful.

Thanks for making us aware of his thoughts.

dvg
Thanks. I used to do the "Defcon Perspective" write-ups much more frequently, perhaps I will start again. Being a manufacturer, I think it gives a little insight from a different angle, of course with a little sarcastic humor.

Reading your Zest Fest write-up was my first inside look at a hot sauce trade show and it was interesting to hear the story told from across the booth table...from a manufacturers and sales perspective.

And the sarcastic humor didn't hurt either. ;)

Hoping to see more of your reviews.

dvg

Well....better late than never!

I attended this years show but I have only just found this forum so I'm late commenting on it. Even though I've been a fan of spicy food for some years now I only started to get into hot sauces and the like just before this show. I live in Dallas and my wife informed me that she had spotted a billboard somewhere. When I looked it up online I just had to visit.

Well I was not familiar with ANY of the brands and knew very little about peppers (I just knew I liked that hot sensation upon chowing down on certain foodstuffs haha), obviously since then I've educated myself somewhat and now I'm kicking myself at wasted opportunities at the show.

I attended with my friend and I took my little boy along with me. Yes I understand that having a stroller at an event like this is not a perfect situation but I was baby sitter-less and I was not going to miss the show, so off we went. Due to me having to maneuver the stroller around I was somewhat limited as to what lines I could get in without taking too much space up and also boring my son....the busier stands I missed out on but I did find that grabbing the odd tortilla chip for him kept him reasonably pacified though.

Highlight of the show was sampling Uncle Crazy Jesters Select Reserve sauce and at that point it was the hottest sauce I'd tried - same goes for my friend who promptly bolted to the refreshments area for cool liquid pain relief. My initial thought was "Hmmm tasty", and then "Shit! my mouth hurts!!!".

My favorite purchase - note that I did not buy too much, like I said, I was even more of a novice then than I am now so didn't really know what to look out for - Bobby Que 3am Habanero Pepper Sauce. I now have this sitting on my desk looking rather sad an empty and man do I miss this sauce! So tasty and oh so toasty on the tongue.

Well I'm already getting excited about next years show and I plan on making a game plan of stands I want to attack and products I wish to sample this time.....I will also be finding a baby sitter for a few hours.

Cheers!

Back