• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Zokambaa's growlog.... of sorts...

Thanks for the tip on the wilting plants... funny though the leaves still look relatively fine no real signs of sunburn except possibly for one... but that is one that got more of the bug spray too so I think it is residual from that...so I don't think the sun was so much the issue, but rather the temperature the leaves got to as a result... The second time I tried it, there was a lot more wind and the temps were cooler and I didn't notice quite as much wilt.

I got some Epsom salt from Co-op grocery store today as I couldn't find it in Superstore or Rona or Canuck Tire... this is the stuff I mentioned in the other thread and is plain old epsom and comes in a 2kg milk carton type container... I'll have to try using some of that and see if it helps... and might try the aspirin trick too since the cat and the wind and the wilt kind of battered the leaves a bit the last time around...

calgary has a large area over head that has a real low level of ozone in the ozone atmospheric layer and thus our sun is less filtered as it hits the earth, thus our higher levels of skin cancer in comparison to other areas of canada. i haven't been affected but my wife has and many of our fair skinned neighours. it was an eye opener at the cancer clinic as to how many people suffer from this version of cancer, standing room only. we keep sun block handy and the kids get a squirt before going outside, almost like misting them with epsom salt - which i do use on my skin. mist the plants, mist my arms. guess you could call me an old softy!

sunscald is different than reactions of plants that experience direct sunlight and react from lack of hardening. my plants are exposed to sunlight during winter months(almost all day long, though as short as our winter days are) but it is refracted by windows. so even as june approaches, they still have to be hardened off. there is no recovery of leaves that experience sunscald, i find it best just to pinch off these leaves so new growth is encouraged. i just transplanted a tomato plant and left it on my deck and the wind just hammered it, it was completely wilted. i brought it in, out of the sun/wind and gave it some aspirin water. it appears to be recovering.

i don't have cats but have a rolled up newspaper just for sparky our dog. incase she gets any silly ideas about my peppers plants. she has trampled my strawberry patch in an attempt to catch some mice. even with a fence, her fox like thinking has found away around the fence. i tried the spray bottle routine but she just tries to catch the jets of water, then barks if you stop wanting to play. mice are her nemesis, a few years ago one found its way into the house and she was on alert all night long for a week, until i finally caught it; poor sparky didn't sleep for a week.

all the plants are in the house again tonight as 8/9C is my cut off temp as to stay outside or come in but i gauge that based on the wind. all the plants are in totes so hauling them in is relatively easy but a pain. in the past, i have used that soft plastic, stapled up on my deck railing to provide wind protection - i think they call it carpet runner plastic, it comes in rolls but after several years of weathering in becomes brittle a falls apart, perhaps i should have pulled it down in the winter. my deck is 5 feet off the ground but watching the tree tops rock in the wind, i can only imagine what a 4th floor balcony is experiencing.

good luck.

Well it seems after a week or two of leaving them out in the sun in part shade at the edge of the sun line on my deck and rotating them as the sun facing leaves begin wilting, I can now.. all except for 1 or 2, pretty much leave them out in full late afternoon sun for about 3 or 4 hours.

Progress is a bit slow I guess compared to some... but what can I say... I've had a few set backs..... but a lot of the little spikes at the bases of the leaves are starting to spring out as new bunches of leaves... I think the full sun is accelerating things.... I just have to be careful with the wilt and the high winds though...

The biggest one, with the largest stem seems to be growing a bit quicker now, but it is still droopy in the sun and I have to keep moving it back into part shade and rotating it more often than the others as it seems to wilt the quickest but... in the span of the last 3 days it has grown about an inch and a half so now it no longer fits under the light on my kitchen counter... I dunno what I'll do as it still can't take all day sun... and if I leave it in the condo in some good partial sun, the cats can get at it and chew the leaves off... the buggers seem to love pepper leaves more than aphids do I think...

I think I'm going to have to re-pot a few more of them this week too... one to another big pot and a few more medium sized ones...

I've had mine out in the sun since about 4:00 all afternoon today with nice wind...(not too strong) and hardly any clouds in the sky... only 2 seemed to wilt very much..

but as I was enjoying the sun myself with a few beers I could babysit them..... soon I hope I can just leave them out on their own....hopefully winter holds off till december this year instead of september...

Here it today's latest after 3 hours... the big one is a bit wilted but not too bad... and the rest seem fine.... and the cat ready to have dinner... thus the broom ready for action....
HPIM1423.jpg

HPIM1422.jpg

Time to cut the apron strings. Give them all day in a spot where the shade will come over them throughout the day.

Yeah... the only problem is there is only a small area of my deck that is shaded all day... and that is about half a foot from the south part of the railing... and the winds are pretty strong as they channel over the railing and under the gap below it... the rest of the deck is not too windy and full on sun all day until about 4pm and then the shadow moves back across the deck as the sun starts to go down... it was about 105 degrees around plant soil height level too...even though the rest of the deck at chair height was about 90f as that was about the ambient air temperature with all the south exposure and radiant heat from the surfaces around it.

I know I can leave most of them out in the sun for several hours without issue... but a couple still take exception to it... and the temps still drop to about 50-55f at night too.. I guess a Canadian 4th floor condo balcony isn't quite the ideal pepper growing environment... but I think in a few more days of the longer sun exposures.. I may be able to leave them out without too much worry

Time to cut the apron strings. Give them all day in a spot where the shade will come over them throughout the day.

I think I kind of have figured out why they are wilting in the sun.... it is not so much the light or the heat on the leaves because of the sun.... I think it is more that the heat radiating off surface of my deck... even in almost 75% shade on the surface, the big one what wilts quickly started to get a little mushy... and that was with next to no sun on it yet... just the radiant heat around it...

so I put them up on deck chairs about 2-3 feet off the ground and while the big one was a little wilted still.. it was more or less fine in about 90% sun most of the afternoon.... I guess even when the temps are 25-30c (77-86F) outside my deck area is about 5-10 degrees hotter... but in the first foot off the deck it much hotter... almost sauna like...

I'm not sure why the taller plant wilts first and the smaller ones even closer to the surface where it is hotter seem to still be ok.... maybe tomorrow I'll see how they work on the chairs again

I should also note.. since I've been setting them out in the sun most of the day a couple of the more temperamental plants have started to turn a bit purple on some of the top branches.. nothing on the leaves.. just the stems... the ones with the smaller leaves have little or no purplish tinge to the stems... and they eat the heat easily...perhaps it is the smaller leaves?

So... here is a question... which variety of peppers are more heat tolerant... Scotch Bonnet, Habaneros, or Black Nagas?

my seeds were all mixed up.. partly by design.. partly to see if any would grow so I am wondering which ones are doing the best.... I think the hab/scotch bonnets are the smaller plants but taking the heat better.... not sure why though

Today was about 5 degrees C cooler than it was yesterday (well about 10-12 F) and I had the peppers up on deck chairs all afternoon... from about 1pm-ish on till right now at about 7:45 and they didn't hardly wilt at all.... and I was moving them into direct sun almost all afternoon...

so I have pretty much ruled out the direct sun being the problem but the 40c temps (105F) a few inches to about a foot off the surface of my deck as to be what is causing most of the problems...

the crappy part is tomorrow is supposed to be nice again and I have to go back to work so I can't monitor them as I would normally.... I am tempted to set them out on the somewhat shady area but up on deck chairs again so they get the cool breeze but some of the sun us blocked by the chairs... plus being 3 feet off the ground where it is the hottest might help... perhaps I'll risk it tomorrow... all but 2 seem to be ok with the heat and the sun sooo...maybe it is worth a try... then again 9 hours in almost full sun.... might just be enough to kill them..if I am not moving them around....

Arrrrrrgggh... I should have started them sooner... and had them out sooner too... unfortunately winter didn't end and summer didn't really start here until july...

It won't kill them. If anything they will need some TLC, but they shouldn't die. Sound like your babies are growing up. :dance:

Look what I noticed the other day... 2 of the plants have real tiny buds 2 others are a decent size... looks like there may be not too bad if they develop... just in time for winter again... well fall... but it might as well be winter hopefully the next month stays decent on the temps....during the day... but it is already starting to get close to freezing over night again....

HPIM1459.jpg

HPIM1458.jpg

HPIM1456.jpg

Woohoo first flower opened today.... yeah I really should have started my seeds back in January.... but what can I say I've not grown these before... but when I came home today the first flower was finally open... some more are getting ready too..

so, do I need to do anything with them? I heard peppers were more or less self pollinating but then I hear people manually do it too...

Anyway.. it is just the first day, it looks like more are to come... funny though the weakest plant in one of the smallest pots was one of the first to put out flowers.
HPIM1463.jpg

HPIM1462.jpg

HPIM1464.jpg

From what I have read being root bound can be a cause of early flowering, since the plants goal in life is to pass on it's genes in pods and seed.

Hmm.. I'm not sure if they are overly root bound quite yet but all of the smaller pots could probably be moved into larger ones now... I'll probably do that this weekend anyway since I have all next week off

This one was one of the more temperamental ones with regard to heat (as was the largest one in the big pot) and has darker leaves than all the rest too... I did have the seeds all mixed up so I'm not sure if this is one of the supermarket Scotch Bonnet, supermarket Orange Habanero, or one of the Black Naga Seeds I bought.... it is getting less picky about the sun and the heat when I put it outside now... in the afternoons.... perhaps that is because it is almost winter again even though the temps are still nice when I get home from work... I do bring them in at night because it has often been getting down between 5c and 10c overnight (41 and 50F) and they don't seem to like it.... so they are still mostly indoor plants... which probably is why they were slower to grow since I don't have any special grow lights or anything.

From what I have read being root bound can be a cause of early flowering, since the plants goal in life is to pass on it's genes in pods and seed.

Well.. I finally have some pods growing on my big plant... I think it is a regular Habanero... but it's hard to say yet... it does have the biggest leaves of the bunch so it could be the Naga too... but it is finally producing.... I think the others would need to be in larger pots before the flowers will develop into peppers... but that may have to wait until next season as I waited too long to start my seeds this year.

The ones with flowers are dropping a lot of them, but there were about 4 or 5 flowers in each area so I guess it's not going to hurt too much.... I've mostly been growing them indoors under plain old kitchen fluorescent lights with some time outside... but with temps going below 10c a lot overnight this year and the temps and wind out on my balcony being kind of crazy hot during the day I haven't had them outside as much as they would have liked... so growth is slow.

Here is the productive plant.. .so far it has about 4 or 5 pods growing a couple are already over an inch and a half long... can't wait to sample some.....

Any idea what kind of pepper this is... I think it probably is just one of the regular orange habaneros... but I guess I'll see

HPIM1477.jpg

I have a couple larger plants producing pods now.... Plant 1 has orange, more or less typical looking Habaneroish with habanero taste and heat (hotter than the supermarket peppers I got the seeds from ) It ripens fairly quickly

Plant two has smaller more narrow and wrinkly pods... which are taking a long time to grow and I don't have any ripe ones yet....

The donor seeds were from mostly from supermarket habaneros and some scotch bonnets... I also put a few Black Naga Jolokia seeds in when I was starting them...

So I have some questions for anyone reading this..... do you think plant 1 is a typical orange Habanero and plant 2 the naga jolokia???

Here are some pics... the first is a true pepper, more or less ripe on plant 1 then typical pods so far on plant 2... none are ripe yet and they are more narrow and smaller than plant 1

The last 2 pics are of cross breeds I did.... the first is plant 1 with pollen from plant 2 and then the second picture are pods on plant 2 with pollen from plant 1...

It's kind of cool.... but has me a little confused what the hell I am growing with some of the results....

Have a look:

Typical plant 1 pods:
HPIM1490.jpg

Typical pods on plant 2... slower growing and no rip ones yet...

HPIM1494.jpg

Now for the fun....

Peppers on plant 1 grown with pollen from plant 2

HPIM1480.jpg

and more fun.....

Plant 2 grown with pollen from plant 1:

HPIM1478.jpg

So... what do you think???

You self cross pollinated? Nice.. The pod at 12:30 in Pic 2 looks naga to me. And in pic 3 I love how the pods have the Hulk-like veins

Yeah... I found the plants were just dropping their flowers so I decided to help out... now over 90% of the flowers are turning to pods....

I did find some bugs attacking the flower..... they don't touch the leaves or pods... but caused the flowers to drop.... I now use my thumb, put it inside the flower under the central parts and tap the base... it causes the pollen to come out... but it also dislodges any bugs....

2 birds with one stone...

then I put the pollen on the other flowers...

I started by putting them on all of the flowers... because I wanted peppers.... but now I am using ONLY the flowers and pollen from the original plant... so no cross breeding.... so I'll see how the next bunch of pods turn out...

IT is kind of cool how they are turning out though...

I am pretty sure it is one of the Nagas and one of the Habaneros.... Plant 2 I think is the Naga.... it is slower growing, ripening, had slightly larger leaves but was more direct sun tempermental than plant 1 which I am about 90% sure is an orange hab... but it is a lot hotter than the supermarket pod I got the seeds from...

You self cross pollinated? Nice.. The pod at 12:30 in Pic 2 looks naga to me. And in pic 3 I love how the pods have the Hulk-like veins

market habs are usually picked barely ripe so there is time to get to the store then to you, and less heat IMO. Home grown is always better once again IMO.

Back