• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 1st Ever Ferment - Did I Do It Right?

Today I took the big step to fermented sauces.

My Ingredients:
16oz  Hot Red Cherry Peppers
10oz  Orange Habs
8oz   Red Fresno Peppers
2oz   Red Vietnamese Birds Eye Peppers
8 oz  Sweet  Red Bell Peppers
8oz   Carrots
8oz   Sweet Onion
4oz Garlic
Total of 4 pounds of veggies

40 grams fine sea salt
2 gram pack of Caldwell's Starter dissolved in 1 cup filtered water

Blended all veggies together with food processor, added salt & starter.

Everything wouldn't fit in my 1/2 gallon jar so I put the extra into a pint jar. Cabbage on top & airlocks.

I took pictures but can't figure out how to add them to this post.

So what do you think, did I do things right?

Lookout Joe
Still Down in the South of Jersey

You sir have just completed a perfect ferment!!! :) Nice job great combo perfect salt amount. Going to be amazing!! Get them pics figured!!
polls_1ApplauseCard_5550_330326_poll_xlarge.png
:)

Sounds great, but hot peppers to the other ingredients sounds high to me. That is going to be pretty hot IMO. That said it should have a great flavor and be a successful ferment ingredient wise. Nice job Joe!

Sounds great, but hot peppers to the other ingredients sounds high to me. That is going to be pretty hot IMO. That said it should have a great flavor and be a successful ferment ingredient wise. Nice job !

WHAT my last two ferments a pure peppers nothing else!! Ghost sauce!! Absolutely phenomenal!! Fear not the heat for you are a chili head!!! Now C'MON John!! Hahaha
woodman.jpg

Joe, that sounds like the perfect Sub sandwich spread right there. Like a hotter version of the pepper relish that we used to get at Lenny's Sub shop. Bet you could spread it on some chicken or pork and grill to perfection too. When you process I'd leave some of it just chopped up really good for that kind of use and process the rest into your sauce.

Cheers,

Back