• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment 505 Salsa?

HellfireFarm

Business Member
Shopping a couple days ago, I came across some "505 Roasted Hatch Green Chile Salsa" - produced in Hatch, NM. I figured I would give that a try since I'm always looking for good Hatch products.

I was not impressed.

It was thin and watery with little flavor, no heat, and had a slightly stale taste. My entire family agreed. We ended up throwing it out.

This is supposedly an "award-winning" company, but what I tasted was an embarrassment to the state of New Mexico.

Anyone else familiar with this salsa or their products? Am I missing something? Or did I somehow manage to get a bad jar the first time I ever got some?

What did you use it for? Usually those hatch salsas are not for chips but for cooking with or adding to certain dishes as a condiment.

There was a "sauce" and a "salsa", the salsa that I got certainly looked to be intended for chips & dip based on both appearance and ingredients. It's gone now and I can't find a picture of it online anywhere (which seems odd) so I can't recheck.

The other one was definitely a sauce for cooking.

Gotcha! Haven't tried it.

The 505 products are kinda blah, The 505 is basically the area code for Albuquerque, so perhaps that was their target market. The best chiles from Hatch seem to be coming out of the Young Guns farm. Super consistent and when the label says hot, they mean it. There are literally tons of salsa products here locally produced, but there are only a few that are pretty badass.

You can also see it in the local brewery establishments, they all seem to be going for a super high alcohol content with zero balance of flavor.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

So these are a few pics of the local section in one of the markets. Sorry if the images are a bit blurry, they are taken with my banana phone.

You can see the 505 products in the 2nd pic.

Cheers!

20240318_194309.jpg
20240318_194321.jpg
20240318_194332.jpg
20240318_194342.jpg

The 505 products are kinda blah, The 505 is basically the area code for Albuquerque, so perhaps that was their target market. The best chiles from Hatch seem to be coming out of the Young Guns farm. Super consistent and when the label says hot, they mean it. There are literally tons of salsa products here locally produced, but there are only a few that are pretty badass.

You can also see it in the local brewery establishments, they all seem to be going for a super high alcohol content with zero balance of flavor.

Hope this helps! Cheers!
Interesting that you say the best chiles are from Young Guns - the jar I had said it was made with Young Guns chile...

Production address for 505 is in Hatch. Rather a disappointment to me that a product like this is coming from there.

The one I got was packaged like this: https://www.yghatchchile.com/collections/spice-up/products/24oz-3-shelf-stable-jugs - but I think in smaller jugs (I don't remember it being 1.5lb). But it was definitely 505 branded. Funny that I haven't seen that packaging on any of their products I can find online.

Young Guns usta sell the smaller jugs of their pure hatch green chiles, like half the size you are talking about. The local store was selling those jugs for 2.99 about 3 weeks ago. Always look at the expiration dates. I am not sure how the buying and rebranding process works or if 505 adds to the ingredients?

So it looks like the one on the left is not labeled salsa, and the one on right is, and the only difference is they added tomatoes as the main ingredient. If it were me I'd buy the one on the left and use it as salsa. Forget the tomato-based one. I can imagine that is blah, yeah. That's for the Americans that like Tostitos salsa! Real deal New Mexican is on the left.

Yeah the color is dull too since they mixed tomatoes with hatch green chile. Doesn't look like a good product.

505 is the Albuquerque area code and these products are immensely popular in that area and the NM bordering states. IMO the entire product line is mid tier and a cleverly marketed marginal step up from products like Pace salsa and other budget brands. They arenโ€™t terrible though, just meant for more casual audiences. When I had a much tighter wallet and was living off coupons and the cheapest products on the shelf I felt bougie buying 505.

Iโ€™ve never had the specific product mentioned however.

Back