Aji Cachucha from Puerto Rico

On the way to buying the Aji collection described in the "Seeds direct from Lima, Peru" thread, I ran across someone in Puerto Rico selling "Aji Cachuca" on eBay. $4.95 for 100 seeds, why not? Note the different spelling on eBay and in the title of this post. I stopped short of buying culantro from the same seller, though. The seeds arrived by letter ten days after I ordered them.

These are "heatless habaneros," fruity like habaneros but with little to no heat. They're very common in Puerto Rican cooking, according to my brother. A search at thechileman.org turns up two entries for what appears to be the same chile: Aji Cachucha (Cuba) and Aji Dulce 3 (Puerto Rico).

It may be heresy to talk about such mild peppers here, but it looks like they'll be fun to use in various dishes. I will also be planting Aji Dulce 2 and Zavory to get a comparison. There's an old topic on Aji Cachucha. Is anybody growing these peppers in 2014?

Wes in Zone 6A

Good job getting those! Low or no-heat C.chinense are great. I have around 5 or 6 different ones growing this year, but nothing from 
Puerto Rico. Not that I can squeeze in anything more anyway  :rolleyes:

I'm growing 2 small plants.  Their mother was an aji dulce plant I grew in PR.  I bought it in fall of 2011 and it was still alive this winter when I visited.  A very productive and good tasting plant.  Could detect a very slight heat.  If yours are like it, I highly recommend.

- Tick

Here is a list of low heat C.chinense varieties (more than 60 items) I could find in the WWW. I personally had grown only 12 such cultivars. 

varg said:
Here is a list of low heat C.chinense varieties (more than 60 items)

Очень приятно! Thanks very much for this list. And thanks for the encouragement from those who replied. I'm looking forward to trying mild chiles from my back yard in a few months.

Back