• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs 1st Harvest 0f 2009 - 06-12-09

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
I have been picking a few peppers along eating them fresh...mostly jalapenos, and banana/hungarian types...

this morning, I decided to pick what was ripe and claim victory for my first harvest of 2009...total of 870 gms (1.92 lbs)...this is a long way from my largest harvest last year of 30 something pounds but that was in October...

this is not the best pic in the world because I used powerpoint to put the text boxes in then paint to save the changes to jpg...I have the original pic if anyone wants to see it...

Will be making pico de gallo with these today...

AJs1st2009Harvest06-12-09.jpg

Nice looking harvest AJ. I re-opened the thead on Golden Greek pepperoncinis and I hope you can add some pics and comments:)
Watch where you use the word "Gallo", its trademarked:)

Pico De Gallo recipe:
Onion- 1/2 a small yellow - diced
peppers- 2 serrano's or jalpenos- because i like it hot - diced up small or add peruvian white habs like i do
tomato- 2 tomato's- diced
cilantro 1/3 of a cup-- cut up small
splash of lime- quarter of a lime squeezed

Mix together and let six 15 minutes and you have Pico De Gallo

Its basically a chunky salsa

Hotpeppa said:
what is pico de gallo ?

Or use some vinegar with the lime juice and add a little garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, sugar... makes a finely shredded salsa. The combinations of peppers alone are endless. I throw in whatever I got.

Hotpeppa said:
what is pico de gallo ?

good recipe that was posted...I usually use equal parts onion, tomato and fresh peppers with cilantro, a dash of garlic powder, some fresh squeezed lemon juice and about 1 tsp of Agave nectar...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
Congrats on your Red Fatalli Ronnie. I have one from 915river and it is loaded with pods. Nice early harvest.

Thanks Cappy...it's going to be a hot year in Fort Worth...literally...is 103F right now...summers here...I am going to eat the red fatalii this evening...will let you know how it tastes..

POTAWIE said:
Nice looking harvest AJ. I re-opened the thead on Golden Greek pepperoncinis and I hope you can add some pics and comments:)

Watch where you use the word "Gallo", its trademarked:)

good deal Potawie...I will check it out and post applicable pics...

too bad for gallo...but if they sue me, they can't get blood out of a turnip...

patrick said:
And so it begins.........

What are the mixed superhots AJ?

yes sir Mr. Patrick...it has begun...my plants are loaded with pods so it looks like I will have a couple of good harvest before the July/August heat stop pod set...

mixed superhots are a bhut jolokia (the gnarly one I posted a pic of on another thread), a 7 Pot, and 3 or 4 small naga morich.

Very nice AJ. You have me inspired, I'm going to keep track of pod counts for all my plants. Not very much work really compared to what you do, but I'm interested in pod count #'s for 1st year plants as compared to overwintered.

bigt said:
Very nice AJ. You have me inspired, I'm going to keep track of pod counts for all my plants. Not very much work really compared to what you do, but I'm interested in pod count #'s for 1st year plants as compared to overwintered.

harvest time is what we all look forward to each year and is why we painstakingly start our seeds early and baby them...it's too bad they don't stay looking as pretty once they get outdoors...

good on ya for keeping pod count for the plants...I just have to many to keep a count on so I just keep the weight of a particular variety...the only plant I have ever overwintered was the orange hab from 2007 that produced maybe 10 pods, then last year, it went bonkers and produced over 2000...I let a hard freeze get to it and it didn't make it thru this past winter...good luck...

patrick said:
Thanks for the reply AJ. Going to be a super hot pico de gallo?

yes sir, gonna use all the superhots plus the regular fataliis in the pico...we are going to have tacos this evening and I bet you I break a sweat while I am eating... :lol:

AlabamaJack said:
yes sir, gonna use all the superhots plus the regular fataliis in the pico...we are going to have tacos this evening and I bet you I break a sweat while I am eating... :lol:

And probably get a case of the hiccoughs as well. :D

Purty pepper pod pickin padner. :)

Silver_Surfer said:
And probably get a case of the hiccoughs as well. :D

Purty pepper pod pickin padner. :)

thanks surfer...didn't get the hiccups but my mouth is on fire and has been for the last 30 minutes...the pico was delicious...

Skydiver said:
Looking good, mate. How are those mariachi hybrids? They look similar to the short yellow tabascos I'm growing.

thank you SD...the mariachi hybrids are a delicious low heat thick flesh pepper...I didn't use them in the pico...actually the only thing I put in the pico was the jalapenos and the superhots with a couple of fataliis...I am saving the mariachis to stuff and smoke Sunday...wife wants some more poppers and these will be delicious...these are quite a bit larger than any tabasco I have grown...probably 2 1/2 inches long and they have big shoulders...probably at least an inch...

cmpman1974 said:
Oh no AJ - I bet we'll see another 30-50 harvest pics. :) Can't wait. Nice first haul. Chris

giggling here Chris...I actually counted up the number of harvest I will have if I pick weekly after your post and it came up to 25...I wish I lived somewhere I could grow year round...like Trinidad...

Chilli Child said:
nice assortment there.. how do those golden cayennes taste compared to reds?

haven't tried the goldens yet but am looking forward to them...will post what they taste like when I do...

lavish said:
Nice harvest, i love the transition stage when you get those rainbow colors, like with the fatalii.

I do too lavish...if you notice the ends of the three on the right are darkish...it is like some kind of rot...I think this is because I have had so much rain over the past 10 days...

Back