• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

harvesting AJs 24th and Last Harvest Part 1 12-02-08

rainbowberry said:
AJ you can never have enough Orange Habs.

***Nodding head in agreement***

AlabamaJack said:
here is a picture of my poor ol' orange hab I cut back to a nub on the 5th December 2007. As of todays harvest, the plant produced 2013 pods...***you can bet your sweet bippy I will overwinter my best plants again this year***

120208a004.jpg

AJ - how much of a nub did you cut it back to? My 3 plants that I overwintered from last year did well for me this year, but I didn't cut them back - I didn't even know you could. My Scotch Bonnet didn't grow tall, but got bushy and really made a lot of pods. Maybe 100 or so. But it did nothing until August, then bang - they started coming. Maybe the plants do better when they are cut back? I just don't know how much. That Scotch Bonnet plant has been inside for 3 weeks now and has lost no leaves and still has pods getting ripe. Decisions, decisions.

bigt said:
AJ - how much of a nub did you cut it back to? My 3 plants that I overwintered from last year did well for me this year, but I didn't cut them back - I didn't even know you could. My Scotch Bonnet didn't grow tall, but got bushy and really made a lot of pods. Maybe 100 or so. But it did nothing until August, then bang - they started coming. Maybe the plants do better when they are cut back? I just don't know how much. That Scotch Bonnet plant has been inside for 3 weeks now and has lost no leaves and still has pods getting ripe. Decisions, decisions.

this was 19 December 2007....it was cut back 05 December 2007...day of first frost last year and I just found out it is probably going to be the day of the first freeze this year too...

12-19-07CutbackOrangeHab.jpg

this is june 25th...

OrangeHabanero1062508.jpg

this is August 31st

083108a001.jpg

and I don't think I took a pic of it anytime it was fully loaded with ripe pods before I picked them.... :doh:

Very nice man. The pic of it loaded with pods looks kinda like a well-decorated charlie brown christmas tree.

thanks BigT....

I am getting ready to start part two of my last harvest...here is a pic of the thais I have to pick...15 plants and I bet I don't get a pound total off of them...will probably take me an hour or more....back in a bit..

by the way...these are the major seasoning peppers I use over the winter...they have a great initial front to middle burn that goes away fairly quickly...mix some tepins/pequins with them for a lip burn and some Bhut Jolokia/Chocolate Hab for the back burn and I am done...

120308a004.jpg

yup....just what I figured....less than a pound....230 grams to be exact....a 9" chinet paper plate full of thai bullet, sun, and orange....

120308b001.jpg

well, I almost got everything picked before the first freeze, but still have to pick pequins, tepins, Aji Lemon, Lemon Drop, wild brazilian, and a few assorted others...it is 29F right now and I am sure the plants are damaged...will be back near 70 by monday. Now is the time for me to start cutting back plants and moving them to their winter home whether that is in my greenhouse or my garage in the grow box. I may just put as many in the greenhouse as I can and save the garage grow area for germination and seedlings...

DickT said:
AJ , Thread title says last harvest, are you done with growing peppers? Looks really nice

yup...finished with growing peppers for the year....like I said in the previous post, I still have a few to harvest left...

now I have to deal with about 30-40 pounds of peppers I have in paper bags...dehydrating, making concentrate, pickling, and probably freezing a few....

I will only have a little time before I start germinating for the 2009 season....I probably will start germinating seeds the first of January...

AlabamaJack said:
yup...finished with growing peppers for the year....like I said in the previous post, I still have a few to harvest left...

now I have to deal with about 30-40 pounds of peppers I have in paper bags...dehydrating, making concentrate, pickling, and probably freezing a few....

I will only have a little time before I start germinating for the 2009 season....I probably will start germinating seeds the first of January...

Okay for the year, excuse me for being a little slow, because I saw all the work you did in the yard and I didn't think you were washing the green stain off your thumb. That sure is a lot of peppers.

I am a little slow today Dick....I should have said last harvest for this year...not last harvest for all time...heaven forbid... :lol:

Part 3 of 24th Harvest 04 December 2008

110408a002.jpg

looks like I got 98% of them picked...about 5 pounds....supposed to get to 28F tonight...

Back