• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

capsaicin An Experimental Cure for Capsaicin Cramps

hottoddy said:
Good tip. I've used baking soda on occasion as an emergency antacid. It works well, but keep in mind that it's loaded with sodium. According to the web, there's 1,259 mg of sodium in 1 teaspoon of baking soda. So if my math is correct (3 tsp = 1 tbsp), that's  7,554 mg of sodium in 2 tbsp. Enough to keep you up at night listening to the blood rush in your ears, and/or give you the green apple splatters in the morning. Even so, probably better than raging superhot cramps.
For the vast majority of people cap cramps is a once every few months deal, at most! So the Sodium content isn`t too much of a worry. If you are doing much more regularly, then I`d worry about it. Ammonium bicarb. would work fine, but it is undrinkable. 

Cayennemist said:
Olive oil.

Best thing for Cap I have found yet! Way better than dairy even.
Been doing that for quite a while and while it does work, the hotter pods need you to repeat it 3 or 4 times and the very hottest still break through and give cap cramps. For me, dairy does not work. It gives me much worse cap cramps that without it. 

Celtic67 said:

I'd say the best cure would be capsazepine - an analogue of capsaicin which acts as an antagonist - i.e. binds with the receptor but does not give a signal/induce pain - therefore stopping capsaicin binding to it - so it would probably be a better preventative than curative treatment - but would still work well imo.

I have no idea if capsazepine is toxic or not though ;)  
Not available, even to doctors, to treat humans. It is available to labs as a tool, but that`s it. Some labs are doing clinical trials with it as an anti-cancer agent in Oral Cancers, so I`d assume it isn`t toxic enough to preclude it`s use completely.

Capsaicin antagonists may be of some use, but are not practical for use in this kind of application. 

Slizarus said:
I haven't actually had cap cramps? What do they feel like? I sometimes feel sick though :P

Ever seen the movie Alien? Like that, but without stopping when the alien emerges. I`m not joking, either. Astonishingly painful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsD6AL3HJtM

dash 2 said:
Wow. Not even if you chew up like ten of 'em and wash it down with water?
Nope, not even then.
Robisburning said:

Haha, Nigel is a professional biochemist/golfer so I had to make sure my nomenclature was up to par.
Was a professional biochemist, IS a professional golfer, so WTF do I know anymore      :rofl:

Nigel said:
For the vast majority of people cap cramps is a once every few months deal, at most! So the Sodium content isn`t too much of a worry. If you are doing much more regularly, then I`d worry about it. Ammonium bicarb. would work fine, but it is undrinkable. 

Ever seen the movie Alien? Like that, but without stopping when the alien emerges. I`m not joking, either. Astonishingly painful.
That video works pretty well also.

I dunno guys, neutralizing stomach acid so it doesn't digest and hits you harder at the other end seems like it's not the perfect solution.  I just drink a couple glasses of milk.

Nigel said:
Nope, not even then.

Was a professional biochemist, IS a professional golfer, so WTF do I know anymore      :rofl:
Bucket list
One or two rounds of golf with Nigel, between holes well discus hot pepper cultivation and consumption.

Dave2000 said:
I dunno guys, neutralizing stomach acid so it doesn't digest and hits you harder at the other end seems like it's not the perfect solution.  I just drink a couple glasses of milk.
Nothing is perfect, but anything to get rid of stomach cramps is golden as far as I`m concerned!!! With really hot pods milk makes things a lot worse for me, a LOT. 

I also absorb/metabolise capsaicin differently from most. I get a lot excreted through the kidneys within about 90 minutes after eating and a lot less at the other end. Drinking alkali like this makes no difference to that. You are not stopping digestion at all, just stopping capsaicin binding to pain receptors and causing cramps. Yes, hot piss is miserable. Yes, it hurts like hell!

No rhyme or reason to it

but a few years ago , after eating a bhut with a friend
I chugged some Gatorade,worked great for about 15 minutes,,then a repeat! 
its been my go-to remedy ever since

A Bhut is the only pepper that affects me with cramps

A Tabasco is the only pepper to make me hiccup

:crazy:
Kevin

Back