• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Anyone ever use Silica?

Since my current grow room is on the cool side, 70F and often below 60F at night I knew that would have an effect on the growth rate of the plants. I was talking with a buddy at the hydro store and he recommended adding Botanicare's "Silica Blast". It supposedly strengthens plant tissue helping the plant to grow in less than ideal conditions. They had a small bottle that was cheap enough for me to give it a shot. I really can't tell if it's helped in any way yet, it's only been one week. I was curious if anyone else had given this stuff a shot and if so what type of results they experienced.

Thanks.

I went through about half a liter last fall. Then I developed some bad roots in my dwc setup that killed all but one of my plants! I don't believe the silica was to blame, and think I'll use the rest of that liter once my remaining plant regains its vigor here soon enough.

I was actually in your position of contemplating whether or not to use silica blast a couple of weeks ago. I've been using it for maybe a week as well, and I've noticed a couple of things.

First, the main stalk of my plant got considerably bigger. I can also tell that its more rigid and resistant to wind.

Second, when I compare the leaf stem sizes of my new growth to the old growth before I applied the silica blast, they are maybe 1.5x bigger.

Lastly, I recently had a bit of an algae problem. After the silica blast, the plant seems to be doing better overall and sprouting more new roots that hopefully won't succumb to root rot.

patrick next time you are by the store see if they carry fulvex....makes plants look real healthy.

never tried silica, isnt that basically sand?

I use a product called Lithovit. It has 7% silica. I use the product for the "CO2" but the silica doesnt hurt either. Silica is an important part of plant health and development.

I have seen quite a few potting mix recipes on here that include Greensand which has silica in it. Any thoughts ?

Patrick how is the silica use going, been thinking about investing in some Silica BLast.

Patrick look at another Botanicare product called Blast Off, looks interesting.

Back