• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Anything wrong with this idea?

Soon I am planning on taking everything that is left on all of my plants, completley ripe or not, just not really tiny pods and mixing them all together and toss them into a food processor. From this I would take some into mason jars and just add vinegar and can. Use this just as a puree or paste. I would take some of the rest and cook it with vinegar and other ingredients, blend it more, put it through a sieve and can that for hot sauce. I would also want to take what was left and just ferment that to later make sauce.

Anything wrong with that logic at all?

Also, if I just put the hot sauce into mason jars and canned it for now would I be able to later on put them into normal hot sauce bottles aslong as I reheated everything?

All of that is doable. It might not meet with purist approval, but that shouldn't stop you from doing it. You could of course freeze them in batches, keeping the same pod types together, then next year when you grow more, bring out the frozen pods and combine them with fresh pods of the same species for sauce. But that might be shunned also, as some people prefer not to freeze for longer than 3 months (I've never had a problem with freezing for 6+ months, then again I live in WI, where things are frozen for 6 months of the year anyway).

"then again I live in WI, where things are frozen for 6 months of the year anyway"

lol- I use to have to Travel to Wausau for business. It seemed like we always had to go in January and February. I am still clueless on why that was. That is one F*ng cold place for anyone ----especially someone from Texas. I will say that the 3 months out of the year the ice melts, it is one of the most beautiful places around. :onfire: :)

i have done both

pickled and and ate some with food and then i also took some of the pickled peppers and put them in the blender vinegar and and all with a few choice additives and made a quick table sauce that was pretty good

hope this helps

thanks your friend Joe

I like to take the green ones and "pickle" them in vinegar......just for the spiced liquid for future recipes

Also, its a good idea to cut the peppers in half before processing them , this time of year things can get a little "funky" on the insides....

Yep you can do that but a couple of thoughts:

Soon I am planning on taking everything that is left on all of my plants, completley ripe or not, just not really tiny pods and mixing them all together and toss them into a food processor. From this I would take some into mason jars and just add vinegar and can.
Instead of adding Vinegar you could add a 6% salt solution by weight and aloow it to ferment. Then your puree will get better and better. Allow it to set out for say a month then put in fridge. Fermentation will slow down but not stop. Flavor will just keep getting better and better with time. CM has some that are about a year or so old and he loves them.

Use this just as a puree or paste. I would take some of the rest and cook it with vinegar and other ingredients, blend it more, put it through a sieve and can that for hot sauce.

Unless you reall love the taste of Apple Cider Vinegar don't use it. ACV can take over the flavor really quickly if you dont watch it.

I would also want to take what was left and just ferment that to later make sauce.

Taken care above. Also you could add some Wheey from some yogurt or Kefer to help the fermentation process start.

Anything wrong with that logic at all?

Also, if I just put the hot sauce into mason jars and canned it for now would I be able to later on put them into normal hot sauce bottles aslong as I reheated everything?

Yes you can rebottle it just remember to follow proper procedures. Steralize bottles reducers and caps. Heat sauce to 195 degrees F for 15 minutes before bottling and don't let it fall below 185. If it does reheat it. Bottle sauce, add reducer and caps then invert the bottle so the hot sauce touches the cap for 15 minutes.

Back