health Anything wrong with this Reaper

1st time growing these and want to make sure this purplish color is ok on a growing pod.  Plant is in the ground, no special mixes of soil or anything like that. My fertilization schedule is...

Weekly    Miracle Grow Tomato Food

Bi-Weekly   Epsom Salt or Cal-Mag

Every 3rd Wk   Fish Emulsion and Seaweed Plant Food

Plant is filling up with pods and I want to have a plant full of healthy pods. Thx in advance!!
BTW, plant is up against a fence and facing to the east. Gets sunlight in its face until around 1pm or so and then a couple hrs of overhead sunlight.

would anyone say those deformed leaves are a magnesium deficiency or is it something else? I have had mine look like that over time and I do a foliage spray with epsom salt but never really see it make a huge difference. I haven't experimented with many other nutrient solutions for that problem.

By the way I'm new to this forum and new to growing. This was my first season which I thought was a success being a beginner, I'm excited to learn more and go into the next season doing even better!

plantsonfire said:
would anyone say those deformed leaves are a magnesium deficiency or is it something else? I have had mine look like that over time and I do a foliage spray with epsom salt but never really see it make a huge difference. I haven't experimented with many other nutrient solutions for that problem.

By the way I'm new to this forum and new to growing. This was my first season which I thought was a success being a beginner, I'm excited to learn more and go into the next season doing even better!
I had that darkening of the pods on a lot of my plants, it goes away. I think the leaves curl because of calcium deficiency. I use CalMag once every two weeks. I just mix it in with my nutrients. 

plantsonfire said:

Not an expert by any means, but I've got 2 ghost/cross plants almost 7' tall that are just loaded with peppers and some of those leaves are curled also. I'm using Epsom and/or CalMag bi-weekly both in the ground and as a foliage spray. Plants are pumping them out, so I'm just gonna keepdoing what I've been doing...

plantsonfire said:
would anyone say those deformed leaves are a magnesium deficiency or is it something else?

If they correct themselves when they get larger then it was just an effect of rapid growth of the tissue faster than the veins.

Regarding the curled leaves, try backing off on the amount of MGTF and take care not to get the soil too soggy.  Try to wait until the plants get slight wilt before watering.

That said, some plants seem unusually sensitive to growing conditions, and will curl a little in anything but ideal conditions.  So long as the plant is healthy, don't worry too much about it.

Back