• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Aphid questions?

Last year in September I applied a Fall fertilizer to my lawn. About a week or so later I got infested with aphids. All of the pots were on my concrete patio and pulled back about 3 feet from the edge where the lawn starts. I was basically waiting for my last round of pods to ripen so my only treatment of the aphids was to hose them off. There were literally hundreds washing off and the water carried them off the patio and into the lawn.

So here's my two questions:

1. Did my application of fertilizer to the lawn attract the aphids to my yard? I'm not sure if aphids are attracted to the nitrogen in grass blades. Maybe I shouldn't fertilize the lawn?

2. What about the aphids that I washed off into the lawn? Did they overwinter in my yard? Are they sitting there in the grass by the edge of the patio waiting for me to bring out my young, healthy fatali, burkina, datil, and bih jolokia plants.

I made a comment about using Miracle Gro fertilizer and was told by a reputable source the the high nitrogen content of it that leads to lots of new green growth is a big attraction of aphids. So I would think yes, that is what brought all the aphids out.

I'm afraid I can't help you with the second question. Yet.

Did the google thing and it appears that yes, all the aphids you washed off into your lawn could be sitting there waiting for you to serve them breakfast lunch and dinner.

Good luck with destroying them.

Back